mosk1640
Cool Member

My new Sweet Plum

My new sweet plum bonsai came with black wiring wrapped around certain branches. I am assuming that its for training the branches to grow in a particular way. Is that correct? If so, when can/should I remove them???

the tree is small, only 6 inch pot and about 7 inches high.

Thanks!!!

Matt

thesdbux

Where did you buy this?

I know from my reading that training wire should generally not be held on for more than 6 months after application but then again that's for larger branches. If these are smaller they may be growing faster and you would be looking at removing them sooner as to avoid scaring the branch from growth against the wire.

Post pics please I would like to see this one :)

uzeyr

well it depends have a look does it look like the wire is cutting into the branches , if so then its pretty late and u shuld take the wire off a.s.a.p ,

if the wire is not cutting in then u may remove it if u wish but then if the braches have not set(into the postion the wire is bending them into ) then u will have to reput them back on this can be a problem for a first timer :D

by the way try as much as possible to cut the wire and not unwind it u can break the branches like that, u can always buy more wire but u can seldom buy branches :o

maybe if u posted pictures people could help u better

thanx

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”