fivemtnman
Newly Registered

hawaiian umbrella tree trunk turning black

my tree's trunk is turning black and loosing leaves, I've been careful in watering and see no pests. Could it be a fungus? Should I replant it? any suggestions are welcome.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Try to post some pictures, as I cannot make an accurate diagnoses without a picture. However, a similar phenomena happened to me a while back. How often do you fertilize it? If it is not fertilized very often that may be the cause.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Every time I've seen this happen on Schefflera it's been because of overwatering, usually in combination with a soil that is not freedraining.

thebean

kdodds got it. sounds like root rot. Over waterin gis the biggest killer of these plants. No soil should be used it the pot. I have mine in 90% in organic and 10% organic. the organic being pine bark. Just enough to keep them moist. Take the tree out o fthe pot and check the roots. If there is either black or white clumps. that is the rot. remove it repot and hope for the best good luck. Hope ive helped

fivemtnman
Newly Registered

I repotted found few roots, I continued anyway. There is little hope all the green is gone. I actually watered this very little. waiting until the soil was dry. sometimes forgetting until I saw the leaves drooping. My wife thinks it's because I put it in the bathroom for shower steam to help it.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

fivemtnman,

I doubt that the humidity was the problem. When you re-potted was the soil dense and heavy? It is possible that the soil may have appeared dry on top and actually been soggy deeper in the pot.

It may still recover especially if you have it in a decent, free draining soil now. Treat it like a big cutting. Keep it warm, you might even try placing it under glass, or inside a plastic bag, to help keep humidity up without having to water the soil. If you take this route the soil will not require much in the way of additional watering for a while. Water it well once then just keep a close eye on it.

Norm

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”