mosk1640
Cool Member

Fukien Tea sick, help!

Ive had a rather large Fukien Tea for about 6 months now. It has been very healthy until recently. I have it situated in the same sunny South-eastern facing window indoors. I use a toothpick to determine the moisture content of the soil which is a medium based bonsai soil.

Ive been rather attentive to it however I noticed that a lot of leaves have been slowly turning from dark green to lime green, then yellow to brown and then they fall off completely. There are new buds and growth in general but more sickly looking leaves than healthy. What can this be? I don't see any signs of insects or pests on leaves, trunk or in the soil. (I haven't checked the roots though) Nothing has changed as far as temperature, humidity, lighting, etc.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Matt

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Pictures would be nice, as it is hard to tell from your description exacly what is going on. Inspect for spider mites, as they do cause illnesses that are not always admediatly recognisable. Also, have you changed the way you fertilize? To little or to much fertilizer is harmful.

Wike

Yeah this has been happening to me. Well It WAS but now has stopped... I'm not sure why It happend I just put It down to the stress of me re-potting it but now It is the healthiest I've seen It and is looking great. So, aslong as you stil have lots of fresh healthy shoots I think you should be cool mate 8)

mosk1640
Cool Member

I appreciate the the responses. I do not have pictures as of yet but will try to post some ASAP. As far as fertilizers go, I admit I do not fertilize much at all, perhaps once every 2-3 months in the winter.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Okay, well that may be the problem. You see, not only is it important to fertilize diligently, but also to fertilize during the plants growing season. I have had plants before where I thought fertilizing was not required (they were rainforest plants, and I thought I should replicate the nutrient depleated soil), and for two years they did terribly until I fertilized them, and they bounced back to life. The moral of the story is, fertilize, because it is nessissary.

SaturnsPattern

But mind you, be sure not to over-fertilize above all else. Too much is harmful to the plant, wheras if underfertilized it's simply better than not having fertilized at all.

mosk1640
Cool Member

Thanks everybody! Will do.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”