ron.
Newly Registered

need help with fiscus

This is my first bonsai tree. My kids got it for me on christmass. It had glued stone on top, which I removed after reading here. The soil is 99percent pottting soil with some styrofoam in it. The leaves are starting to turn lighter in color not quite yellow yet. It's 16"h 17" canopy and a
2" circumference. Should I get different soil and transplant now or wait.
It's very cold here now and not alot of sun. Thank you Ron.

Wike

I will be intrested to see any replies because I also bought a tree that could do with a re-pot ASAP, I was going to wait but depending on your replies I may do now.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

ron,
The leaves are starting to turn lighter in color not quite yellow yet.
If the yellowing is confined to the fresh leaves then it is nothing to worry about, it is a characteristic of Ficus at least mine are like this. If the overall plant is yellowing then that is a sign of a problem. Perhaps over-watering, (watering too frequently) low light levels or both. It would really help if you are able to provide some supplemental lighting.
It had glued stone on top, which I removed after reading here. The soil is 99percent pottting soil with some styrofoam in it.
Good move in removing the rocks. The Styrofoam is probably Perlite, a common ingredient in potting soil.
Should I get different soil and transplant now or wait.
Ficus are pretty tolerant of this type of soil. I would rather see it in a more free draining medium but if you manage your watering properly it should be OK. For now it might be best to concentrate on providing it a better environment, lighting and warmth will go a long way. Besides there is no point in re-potting it into a similar medium so you will have to acquire a better medium first anyway.

https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Ficus.html
https://www.bonsaihunk.us/cultural.html

Norm

ron.
Newly Registered

Thanks Gnome, read your post and checked out bonsaihunk. put a
fluorescent on it. Will look for better bonsai soil, will let you know how it
turns out. Thank you again for your help. I love my bonsai. Ron.

ron.
Newly Registered

Thanks Norm. Imoved my ficus to a warmer spot and added artifical light.
It has been almost two weeks now. The plant is greener and putting out new shoots. doing really well now. Thanks alot for your input. Ron

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Ron,

Glad to hear that things are looking better, it's good to hear of a success from time to time. :D

Norm

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”