anniejolly

something is eating my zucchini

Not deer or rabbit. my plants are located high on a deck. they are eating the fruit and leaves. any ideas what could be doing this.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Can you post a picture of one of the damaged plants? I'm not familiar with your area, so as far as I know, it could be anything from snails to mice. A picture would help a lot! :)

anniejolly

how do you post a picture? I took some but cannot figure out how to post.[/url]

anniejolly

https://s512.photobucket.com/albums/t323/anniejolly/?action=view&current=zucchini001.jpg
https://s512.photobucket.com/albums/t323/anniejolly/?action=view&current=zucchini003.jpg

I figured it out!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It looks like caterpillar damage to me, but I'm no authority. I would go out at night with a flashlight and examine the plant to see what I could find. With pests like caterpillars, I prefer to hand pick them from the plants, rather than spray with insecticides.

anniejolly

It is only going after my zucchini and not my crook neck. I set mouse traps which one did spring with no rodent. I am moving the plant to another spot to see if that helps. I see actually chomping out marks on the zucchini.

nlpakkala
Newly Registered

HI,
I am having the same thing happen to my butternut squash. Our garden is fenced in so it has to be mice I think. There are actual teeth marks all over it. I picked it, then realized I should have waited as it really isn't quite ready yet, still has some green streaks in it. Is there anything else that it might be besides mice and by the way how do you prevent them from eating the veggies, a trap? How well does that work? Thanks for any ideas. Nancy

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”