zeeple
Newly Registered

Pea plants are dying, with white stuff on leaves!

Hi all, my wife and I are new to vegetable gardening. We planted some pea plants and they have been going strong but lately they have all been dying. We have also been noting that the leaves are coated with this chalky, semi-sticky white stuff. Sadly, we have also noticed that the neighboring kale, and also a nearby flowering bush are getting the same stuff! Anyone have any idea what this stuff is? Thanks!

fabulousmindy

I am not an expert, but I had powdery mildew last year and it killed my zuchinni and cucumber.

zeeple
Newly Registered

Thanks for the comment. I have some organic lawn people coming out on Monday hopefully they will have a good idea what to do. I'll report back for posterity's sake.

Real World
Newly Registered

Did you find out? My peas all died suddenly in the last week with white stains on the leaves too.

zeeple
Newly Registered

Real World wrote:Did you find out? My peas all died suddenly in the last week with white stains on the leaves too.
As a matter of fact yes, A person who came out here to look at the lawn and shrubs identified it as "Powdery Mildew." She said it was a common thing for some garden plants to get, and that the best way to combat it is by removing the excess shade that mildew thrives on and making sure there is as much sunlight hitting the plants as possible.

mr_tumnas

You could try heavily spraying with a baking soda solution. 1 teaspoon to a quart of water. I've never actually tried this, but I heard it helps.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”