nlpakkala
Newly Registered

Cantalope sweetness

I am wondering what determines how sweet the cantalope is? I have about 10 lopes in my garden which has been hit by bacterial wilt I think. Have lost alot of the vines and leaves. All but two of the lopes are still attached to a vine that is alive. Those two were a yellowish color so brought them in the house and finally opened one. It looked ripe but when I tasted it, it was very bland and not sweet at all. Any ideas? There is still one large lope that is still hooked to a vine but that is not connected to the main plant anymore. Do I leave it in the garden to ripen some more or bring it in? It is brownish yellow and quite large.

webmaster
Site Admin

Seems similar to growing wine grapes. For wine they look for slopes, hills, or valleys that get heat and full sun during the day but are cooled by fog coming over from the ocean in the evening, with temperatures dipping at night.

According to [url=https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/vegetable/vpm/VPMMAY96.PDF]this PDF file[/url] about growing sweet cantaloupes:
High sugars are promoted by temperatures above 80-85 degrees F. and full sun, good leaf condition (no disease) to increase photosynthesis, cool nights into the 70s but not below 60, selection of cultivars bred for high sugar, good fertilization and irrigation programs, and no excessive irrigation or rainfall during fruit maturation -- but also no drought stress.

nlpakkala
Newly Registered

Thanks for the info. With many nights in the 50's this year and so much rain, guess that answers my question. Daytime temps have been in the 80's most of the time but some days in the 70's and 90's. Maybe next year I'll forgo the cantalopes. I live in the fingerlakes area where there are lots of wineries so will be interesting to find out if the weather has affected the grapes here or not. There hasn't been anything in the news so far. Thanks again.

webgrunt

Variety has something to do with it, but ripeness has a lot to do with it as well. I've found most places that serve cantaloupe serve it very under-ripe. Under-ripe cantaloupe compared to ripe cantaloupe is comparable to eating mud versus eating chocolate, in my opinion. Make sure the outside is all yellow rather than green and it should give to the touch.

nlpakkala
Newly Registered

The ones that I brought inside were pretty yellow and when I cut into them they sure looked ripe but the taste was very bland and not sweet at all so maybe it is the variety. Unfortunately I don't remember what it was and I don't think it was even written on the stake although it could be there down under the leaves and the fabric around the plants. That black garden fabric sure helps with the weeds!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”