Nogol

SWEET BELLE PEPPERS NOT GROWING

Hey....does anyone know how tall the sweet belle pepper plant should be before it starts producing the fruit? I have two that are at least three feet tall and aren't producing any fruit yet....is there something I should be doing?

noqgardener

I have a tabasco pepper plant that is doing the same thing, but I noticed a few buds the other day. I hope someone has an answer

Nogol

Actually, I went out htere today and saw that the plant is actually almost FIVE FEET TALL!!!! and no peppers, but perhaps there are some buds on it, but I am not sure if they are just more leaf buds or actual pepper buds. The plant is only a few inches away from being my friggin height, so it better be producing some darn fruit!! argh!

agwalt

I don't know if I can help or not, but I had the same problem with my tomato plants. the plants were taller than me, but no fruits. It turns out they were getting too much water and using all that water to grow more and more leaves, etc. I cut down the watering in half and I have tons of tomatoes growing now.
My bell pepper plants are tiny (maybe one foot) and are just starting to produce fruit. (Is there anything cuter than a baby pepper? Sorry, I just got back in from checking the garden.) My pepper plants receive the same amount of water as my tomatoes, so maybe the reduced water is what helped the peppers start producing fruit also.
good luck!

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

too much nitrogen?

That is a huge pepper plant, my tallest are still shy of 3'. I hope you start getting some fruit soon, though. What a bummer!

Nogol

interesting....well, we water about two times a day....it's really hot here in Vancouver, and lots of sun. So......how many times a day do you water your garden?

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

We water twice a week tops if it doesn't rain. How hot is it there? We had a 117 heat index for the last few days.

lillgardnr

wish my pepper plants were taller, mine arent even a foot tall. most already have peppers, though their all tiny :?:

agwalt

I used to water 20 min twice a day and I have cut down to 20 min once a day. I may need to increase it to 25 min a day.
I live in Utah where it is very dry. Temps are in the 90's. Nights drop to the 60's probably. This week the days have reached the 100's and my plants are looking a bit dry, but still producing.
Hope something works for ya!

Nogol

I live in vancouver, and it has been about 25 degrees celcius...so pretty hot for here, but it's not dry heat. I guess we got some rain about a week ago, so maybe we should stop watering twice a day. I water for about 10 minutes each time though.....I don't know.
I think that a lot of my garden has really tall leaves and stalks but the actual fruit and veg's aren't in proportion to the fruit/veg, so perhaps too much water is the prob.
As for the nitrogen, we haven't been fertilizing, except for some fish fert that we used at the beginning of the season, and unless there is something else creating nitrogen, I don't know what could be causing the prob.
Thanks for all the advice guys!!

agwalt

can't wait to hear when you start getting some fruits of your labor!

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Our Belle Peppers are also having problems this year. But then again this is the first time I've grown a garden by myself. It's only about 1 - 2 ft tall. I saw some buds on it yesterday so hopefully that is fruit and not more leaves. This year has seem to be a very odd year. Our sweet corn only grew about 3 ft our tomatos are nice size with lots of fruit but can't get any to turn red. Brocilli grew but really didn't get anything off it. I hope to learn a lot from this year and have something better next year.

Nogol

that's strange...where do you live?
hope the buds are peppers, and not more leaves, I hate it when that happens!

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

I live in the midwest close to St. Louis Mo. I was just out there last night and I don't think it's going to make it. Some of the lower leaves just fell off (they were still green) and most of the other ones have brow spots and some holes in them. I couldn't fine any bugs or anything on it. I'm not really sure what went wrong. O well I guess with this being my first year of gardening everything can't be perfect. :(

mar54
Newly Registered

I have several pepper plants that have grown way too tall (one is about 6 ft tall)and are not producing. I also have a few that are only about a foot tall and have started developing baby peppers.
I don't get enough sun in my backyard so I imagine that could be the cause? Also, the leaves have holes in them so something must be eating them. Any ideas on what is eating them?
:?

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

usually if a vegetable grows to tall or big with out producing it's because of to much nitrogen. I don't know about the holes though. My plant looked like junk for a long time with holes and leaves falling off an not growing then one day it started to take off. I now have one pepper on it and it's only about 1 1/2 foot tall. My goal is to get one off it before it turns cold. I've also thought about bringing it in for the winter and seeing if I can keep it going. :)

mar54
Newly Registered

so can you just buy nitrogen at the garden center? if so do you know how much you need to apply?
just curious, when did you plant your peppers? I bought mine from home depot and planted them last month.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”