57ChevyChick

Tip on growing squash

I love garden because I learn new things every year....One thing I have found to be very helpful this year is this.....I love to have a pretty garden so on all my squash plants I decided to cut off the leaves/with stem as they die back....when the leaf starts turning yellow I cut it off.....in a short time I noticed that it was really benefiting the plant ....I guess it takes stress off of the plant and allows all this new growth to come on.....Usually by now my squash plants are all to the end of their lives but not this year....they are beautiful ! Anyway....just wanted to share that ....try it and see what results you get ! By the way, I had already planted a second planting of squash plants but it looks like I may not need them since the first plantings are doing so good.......since I have room I'll just let them grow and share with the neighbors ! Have a good day ! :wink:

g-man
Newly Registered

ya I learned that same thing to this year it helped a lot

Nogol

this would happen with zucchini too, I take it...?

57ChevyChick

Yes, I'm doing it with all my squash and they're still beautiful...new growth coming on just about every day....

raaychill

right on! I was told by (non squash, or veg for that matter) growing pros to always leave a dying leaf on, cause the plant knows what its doing and it'll fall off when its ready....

but that didnt seem to be working for me, and when I said something, they would keep insisting..... I just tore off all my dying, yellow, sad looking leaves, it already looks better! going with my instincts from now on
:flower:

57ChevyChick

The squash beetles are very active right now....laying eggs on the backs of the squash leaves....so check every leaf and smash those little buggers ! I found some on mine today ! I call them squash beetles but they probably have another name! I smash them with my fingers when I see one of them too !! I will fight for my garden !! LOL Take care

nlpakkala
Newly Registered

I've also been experiencing squash bugs and have found lots of eggs on the back of the leaves, which I have smashed along with the bugs that seem to be running all over the ground when they realize I am looking for them. My squash plants had been so beautiful until just yesterday, now I have a lot of dark brown dried up leaves and also some stems that are getting yellow and soft and leaves turning yellow. Is that a wilt or from the bugs? Thanks

57ChevyChick

My guess would be it's the squash bugs.....It seems like it doesn't take them very long to take over a plant and then it starts dying back like you described....I would spray and try to stay on top of them if you can...checking for them every day......They don't like water so if you can water your plants you will get them running and then you can kill them..but of course you won't get all of them that way ! I have 20 squash plants this year plus tomatoes, peppers, cukes and green beans...plus a herb garden....I can't tell you how much satisfaction I get out of gardening....I just love it ! Good luck with your bug problem and post how you're doing !

nlpakkala
Newly Registered

Thanks for the idea of watering to scare the bugs away. Up to the last few days, we have had more than enough water, rained almost daily and not just a little bit. It makes it hard to know when to spray with fungicide or insecticide. I haven't had to water plants except when I first put them in the ground. Because of the rain my tomatoes have suffered some blight but trying to keep the discolored or diseased leaves picked off. The plants are just loaded with green tomatoes so hope they all ripen.

57ChevyChick

Last week we got like 5 inches of rain in just a few hrs. and I noticed my tomatoes have alittle blight too.....I thought blight was a soil borne disease but not sure about that now.......my plants were beautiful until all that rain.....I think your tomatoes will still ripen....I planted 20 plants this year ....I always plants extra for the critters that get into my garden......Coons are so destructive I had to put an electric fencing around my garden about a wk ago.....so far that seems to be working just fine ! I don't mind sharing but they will break down a plant and that's what they did on 2 of mine.....Tomatoes are just wonderful this year...extra tasty for some reason....I've eaten so many I may turn into one ! LOL Take care

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”