Fab
Newly Registered

New to gardening

Hello all,
I am from Victoria, BC in Vancouver Island and have just recently been blessed with a little garden patch in a community garden. This is my first time ever at gardening and I realize I'm kinda' late in the season to plant anything. I am looking for all and any kind of advice I can get. Right now I actually have to go clean up and get rid of the weeds, then put some manure and mix it in with the soil ( I think....). Then I'd like to plant some kind of veggies, herbs, or fruits. Can any of you recommend something that would grow in our kind of weather? Thanks for reading and please feel free to post any gardening tips you might have.
Cheers,
Fab

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

First of all, what zone are you in? Since you are on an island, is it breezy?

Since you'll be in a community garden, why not ask the other gardeners what grows best? Then you can meet your neighbors and make some new gardening friends at the same time!

Fab
Newly Registered

Hello Carolyn,
Thanks for your reply. Actually, I don't really know what zone I am in. I know that it is close to Seattle, on the Canada side and I am on Vancouver Island. The weather is nice in the summer and it starts to get breezy, rainy and cold by mid october, then it continues on til late march. I will definitely talk to the other gardeners, I just thought I'd find some info before I went in there and messed things up, hahaha. Thanks for your help!
Cheers,
Fab

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

It is pretty late as you say, if you have at least 45 days until first frost then you may try several things, even maybe some quick maturing salad tomatoes. But with it being a first garden, I would opt for simple with almost certain reward. So here are a few rec's. Wondersul, zesty arugula. From seed to plucking leaves in probably 30 days. Collards, will sweeten and continue to grow even after the first few frosts. Kale should also give you some leaves before cold weather and frost slows the growth. Cool weather lettuce blend, harvest can be extended with use of a cold frame or plastic covering during frosty nights. Radishes, about 30 days to harvest. Any number of perennial herbs. They will grow and reward you for the remainder of this season and will come back out bigger and more productive next season. Be careful with any of the square stemmed perennials however as they like to take over the whole garden. Maybe plant those in plastic nursery pots to help confine them to a certain spot.

Alex
Last edited by hendi_alex on Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fab
Newly Registered

That's awesome info, that you both for all the tips. I can't wait to get started!!!
Cheers,
Fab

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”