sixshooter

Cayenne Pepper ideas?

Hello all. New to the community.

This year I planted my first garden mostly peppers and tomatos. I planted 4 Cayenne plants and theyre doing great, but I don't know what I'm gonna do with them when I harvest em. Any suggestions? I don't want to take the time to dry and grind etc. Does anyone put them in salsa? Should I pick them when theyre green?

Thanks in advance

Jacob_Valleau

MEATS

all meats

burgers, steak, lamb, buffalo, chicken

use it on buffalo wings

Lots of stuff

Make cayenne powder, definately

sixshooter

I was kinda nervous about drying and grinding, but if its that good ill do it. can you pont me into the direction for instructions on how to dry and grind the cayenne?

Is cayenne good in any salsa?

Thanks!!!

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Drying peppers should be easy (though I've never done it). They can be strung up on strings like this:

thread a big needle with thick thread. String the peppers by their stem, not the fruit. Make a vertical slice through the wall of each pepper with a knife, to aid the drying. Then hang the garland up and let the peppers dry naturally.

After they are dry: you can cut the tops off, shake the seeds out (or not, if you'd like spicier) and grind them in a coffee grinder. Some blenders will work too.

If you don't want to mess with this, then don't! Just give the pepper garlands away as gifts!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

This past week I ran a test with some jalapenos. Placed them in my dehydrator for a day to dry. Then simply took mortar and pestle and ground them into medium to fine crushed red peppers and added them to my shaker. Worked out great and was very little work. Will do that again until I have about a year's supply. The nice thing about using the dehydrator is the drying time, about 12 hours!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”