rebaths

Suspending a growing pumpkin?

Hi.

I am going to try my hand at growing a GIANT pumpkin next season.

I've read how growers shade the pumpkin, so the skin remains softer, allowing the insides to expand without having to overcome resistance of a hard shell.

What if you built a metal frame, like a large engine hoist, around the plant, then hung a matrix of straps or webbing from the structure? The pumpkin could be placed in the webbing before it gets too big to lift. The webbing keeps it off the ground, so the underside doesn't have to 'push' against the ground as it grows. Less resistance should mean the pumpkin is free to grow on the underside too. Even if we don't get larger pumpkins, we should get pumpkins that look round instead of like Jabba the Hutt.

As the pumpkin grows, you simply crank the webbing a bit higher. As an added benefit, when it comes time to bring your pumpkin to the contest, it's already in straps/webbing, making it easier to lift into the trailer!

Has this been done before?

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Sounds like a viable experiment!

Some concerns:

The webbing must be strong enough to support the pumpkin's weight (up to 200 lbs?). Also, the webbing must be soft enough so that it doesn't cut into the pumpkin's skin. I'm imagining a mostly round giant pumpkin with marks on it that looks like it fell asleep on a tennis racket!!

Let us know if you try it, though!

Jess
Greener Thumb

petalfuzz wrote:Sounds like a viable experiment! Some concerns:
I'm imagining a mostly round giant pumpkin with marks on it that looks like it fell asleep on a tennis racket!!
Let us know if you try it, though!
:lol: :lol: So eloquently put petal. My thoughts too...at least I thought about strap marks not tennis racquets!!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”