para_chan

Positioning a new Veggie Garden

I'm planning on building two raised bed gardens, either 12" or 24" inches tall. I've been thinking about where to position them, and I'm a little lost.

My backyard has places that either get sunlight in the morning, or sunlight in the afternoon (and at noon, of course). Each place gets 6 or more hours of sunlight total, so the shade isn't really a concern.

I want to grow all the standard veggies-tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, broccoli, all that.

But.. is morning sunshine better or afternoon sunshine?

I may just be worrying too much. :)

Also, it rains here often at night, and heavily. I have two tomatoes growing in pots right now, and they both got blight. Is there anything I can do next year to prevent it?

Thanks!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Here in Camden almost nothing likes the mid to late afternoon sun. I've gone so far as to place many of my raised beds under the east side of the canopy of a large oak tree. The beds get full sun until between 11:00 and 12:30 p.m. Cucumbers, strawberries, salad greens, green beans all love the site. I'm in the process of planning an afternoon shade cloth arrangement for my full sun garden, even the tomatoes want to get a bit wilty in the hot late afternoon sun. If I were you, would opt for the morning sun location. Maybe later or at the same time put a smaller experimental raised bed in the afternoon sun area. My guess is that some things will grow better in one location and other things will tend to grow better in the other.

As far as tomatoes are concerned, it is a bit of an irony. They do far better in drought or very low rain, than they do when having frequent rain. Right now I'm growing a few plants in my greenhouse just to keep them out of the rain, and to monitor how well they do wrt diseases compared to those in the yard. A previous year in the greenhouse had no signs of disease, this year so far same story. I'm just in the planning stage but will likely construct a 9 x 12 lean shed covered with polycarbonate in order to grow tomatoes without the tops ever getting directly wet. Will try to build the structure large enough to have 4-6 plants underneath. My in ground tomato plants are looking terrible. Lost several to wilt already, and others have the yellow leaf problem that moves higher and higher up the plant.

You can likely spray your plants with a fungicide or perhaps try the dilute skim milk thing and maybe get the fungus under control. But if you love tomatoes the way I do and you want to have a long harvest, the covered growing area may be the way to go!

Alex

Roger

I agree with Alex - the morning sun is better for some plants than late afternoon sun if you had to choose between the two, expecially if nightime conditions where you are is wet and rainy. Morning sunlight will help to dry up damp areas on the plants quicker in the day, which would be one small step in helping to avoid most mold/fungus problems, including some blights and rots.

I also agree with Alex in that I would make two beds, one in both locations, and see for myself what does best where under the local conditions. Sometimes, plants defy all logic and do well or poorly regardless of what we think they will do.

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

As for the rain, be sure to drill out weep holes in your raised beds. That should help with drainage.

para_chan

Thank you so much guys!

I'll take your suggestions and put one in each area, and drill holes in the boxes.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”