jksimpson

Cuke Surprise..

I just wanted to share some good news....
Weeks ago the plant looked beautiful with all these bright yellow flowers, but no cukes. I know the flowers were male and female, so pollination was not the problem. I even spotted a bee the other day checking out my cukes...good little bee! I had all these little tiny cukes, but they would grow a half inch and then shrivel and die. I was heartbroken. Well last week, I was sadly looking over the cucumber plant wondering what was wrong...when I spotted it...a beautiful 5 inch cuke! It was hidden amongst the leaves and hard to see. But, once I saw it, I beamed! It was like, "Here I am! LOOK at me!" Anyway, the gardening bible says to pick the cukes at 6 inches, so we waited a couple of days and then enjoyed our first cuke! It was delicious!
Well today, I went out to see how the plants fared after all the rain and none of my presence, and that is when I noticed how happy everyone was! I was looking at the cukes again hoping to spot a missing 5 incher, when lo and behold...a beautiful cuke laying on the soil in all its 7.5 inch glory! HOLY CUKE!!! I picked it, congratulated the plant, and brought it in to measure! Oh, my heart is happy!
Yes, I am weird!

I would post a pic, but I can't figure it out!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I think that's wonderful! Your post brought me a smile! :D

Brandywinegirl

That great!! I know what you mean. You work so hard to grow these babies and you want a reward for the time and patience. I have lemon cukes (round & yellow) that I planted from seed. They have climbed high up and they are popping like crazy. They are the size of a baseball and have a mild sweet taste. I am so excited!!! You are not the only one who feels the way you do about your veggies!! :D

wolfie

Brandywine, where did you get the seeds for the lemon cukes? I would love to try some next year but do not know a good seed place. Thanks!

Cuke

That's great!What variety of cukes do you grow?I know where you're coming from,my cukes were growing like crazy and we had several 1 inch and then a hailstorm hit killing most of our cukes and small tomatoes.I was so happy when we canned our first jar of pickles a week ago,but now they're not producing little cumbers :cry:

jksimpson

I have no idea what variety. They are from seed, but I threw the packet away. These are special cucumbers to me because a couple of days after I planted them, I watched a friend's dog and he dug in my veggie garden. I was so mad. But, two little cucumber seeds must have survived the digging because those are the two plants I have now.

Cuke

At least 2 did survive,hopefully the dog won't eat your cukes too!I have about 7 that grew from our seed packet.They're not doing that great considering we actually have good weather for them to thrive in right now,but like I said,the hailstorm did them in.

I don't know my variety either,I still have the seed packet but I always forget to go check it.

Brandywinegirl

Wolfie, I got the lemon cuke seeds from Burpee. The website is www.burpee.com. Some local stores that carry Burpee seeds may have them.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”