dinker

surprise in garden

Went out to take a look at my garden I have the day off so I wasn't in a hurry but they are calling for storm's later so I was looking at the sky no sign of rain yet my attention moved back to the garden :shock: there was a bobcat standing next to the garden.I have seen snakes (yuk yuk) frogs every thing else but a bobcat he looked arround the garden for a few min then walked back into the tall grass behind the yard . WOW what a sight :) All that freeze tag I played when I was a kid came in handy :lol:

webmaster
Site Admin

Whoa. Maybe you should report it to your local police.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

What a treat for you! Aren't they lovely animals? I rehabbed a little bobcat kitten several years ago. I have a framed photo of him hanging on the wall here by my computer. :)

dinker

I love moments like that ( once I get past the shock ).I would have loved taking care of a little one . We live in a very small town mostly country side we only have a part time police man. In the past people would bring me newborn's to bottle feed usally the mom got hit by car but nothing as grand as a bobcat.my biggest was 4 baby possums .It was a treat.

Cuke

Wow,that's better than my usual surprises of squirrels or rabbits running the garden.I remember tearing up the garden last year and a huge vole ran circles around me before finally finding a place to hide.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

If you enjoy wildlife rehabbing, contact your local Fish & Game office and see if they have a licensing program. Generally, it requires passing a written test, and there probably will be some restrictions. I couldn't do migratory birds, for instance, because I didn't have a federal license. I also couldn't do marine mammals, because I'm too far from the ocean. But there are always plenty of other animals that need help, and sometimes, you'll be allowed to provide temporary care for some really interesting ones, like my little bobcat. I live in town, so I had to turn him over to a rehabber who lived in a rural area, but she lived close enough to me that I could continue to work with him as he grew up and was prepared for release. I once even got to have a baby black bear for a couple of weeks, until F&G found a more suitable place for him! :)

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Ha! For me, it is usually a thrill to see a rabbit or a squirrel in our yard. Our yard backs up to a major highway, so wildlife is scarce...

delmarvagardener
Newly Registered

I guess an 18inch fence won't keep him out of the garden. :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”