patndette
Newly Registered

Butternut squash

This my 1st post. Also my 1st time growing butternut squash. I just harvested my squash because it was tan in color or deep yellow. But I think I harvested to early the stem is not brown in color. Although I still have a bunch more. My question is will it continue to ripen? Ans should have waited till the stem or the rind gets deeper brown?
Thanks
Pat

Roger

I usually harvest mine when the stem portion begins to get dry, splintery and dead looking. But you can harvest them any time once the squash itself is a solid gold/tan color, firm and hard to the touch, with no traces of green. They are good when slightly immature and smaller; they just don't store as long, and so should be used within a couple of days once picked. If you want to store them longer, wait until the stem appears to be drying & dying.

patndette
Newly Registered

Thanks roger for the information, I really belive I harvested them to soon.
I set them on the dining table and the stems were bleeding a clear liquid. As I mention this is my 1st time growing buternut squash and was so happy watching them grow at a astounding rate, and couldn't wait to harvest them. I still have a bunch growing and will let them continue till the stem get dried.

You think I should eat the current fruit soon? Will they ripen anymore off the plant?
Thank you again.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

They might ripen some. I know people who routinely harvest butternut squash a little early. If the rind is hard and no longer shiny, they should be okay to eat. :)

patndette
Newly Registered

When one use the term rind meaning the stem or the skin of the squash?
thanks

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

patndette wrote:When one use the term rind meaning the stem or the skin of the squash?
thanks
The skin. :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”