STF

What is "well draining soil"?

seriously?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Generally, it's soil that has a loose/light consistency, with sufficient coarse material such as compost or sand, to allow water to drain through fairly easily. At least that's my understanding. :)

My yard is very heavy clay and drains very poorly. There isn't much I can do about it, according to the half-dozen different landscapers I've consulted, because it's about a foot lower than all the adjoining yards. Even a drain field won't work, I'm told. :(

Jess
Greener Thumb

My soil!
It has sand and chalk in it. Neither hold water which means my soil dries out completely once the summer comes. If it were not for the twice yearly applications of compost and manure I would probably be growing nothing but cactus!

Kisal if we could partially swap I would. :D

Roger

A Soil-Swapping forum! Neat!

STF

Well, I read up on it a little bit and I kinda understand. My garden is near my house and the closer to the house that you get the redder the dirt gets. Anyways I guess I'm gonna get a soil PH tester thingy and go from there. I know the PH doesnt have anything to do with well draining but I stumbled upon that while reading.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I can dig a 3 inch deep 2 foot round hole in my soil. If I fill it level with water, it will be empty in about 30 seconds. I think that's well draining soil.

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Charlie MV wrote:I can dig a 3 inch deep 2 foot round hole in my soil. If I fill it level with water, it will be empty in about 30 seconds. I think that's well draining soil.
I agree. I have submerged 2L bottles for deep watering in my garden. I fill them up and they drain almost instantly. 3L of water is just gone! That's kinda strange too, since I have clay soil. Plants love it.

Jess
Greener Thumb

Roger wrote:A Soil-Swapping forum! Neat!
:lol: If only it were possible.

Quick test to check your basic soil content, which gives you a good idea of whats in it and therefore how quickly it will drain...

Wet a handful of dry soil, roll it into a sausage shape...does it feel gritty? Does it crack, fall apart? If so your soil has a high level of sand/stone in it and will be very free draining. Too much so. It will leach nutrients and needs constantly building up with humus...Mine!

The sausage does not crack or fall apart but feels quite soapy/slimy.
You have high silt content (silt = sedimentary material) which basically means dust sized particles that do not make for a good soil structure as they are easily washed away and can also form a crust on the top of the soil stopping water from penetrating. Having said that it can also be very nutritious so silt is not always a bad thing to have. Humus will need to be added to increase the average size of the soil particles and stop compaction.

Now bend that sausage round to form a bracelet. If it breaks or cracks you have clay but not too much. This is a good thing!
Nutritious, moist but free draining. The soil we all wish for.

It bends round and forms a bracelet...oh dear. Rich, clay soil but heavy, cold and hard work. It does not drain in winter and the surface cracks in the summer. If you can add to it constantly and build up the humus content you will have the most nutritious soil out there that is also workable ( can dig in it!) but if left as it is it will be impossible to plant anything!

dinker

Ive got all the manure for your gardens and rock for landscape we have cattle and we live on a rock pile were lucky to dig a hole

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

My soil would make good sand castles. Heavily amended castles but castles nevertheless. No way it would roll into sausages. :)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Charlie MV wrote:I can dig a 3 inch deep 2 foot round hole in my soil. If I fill it level with water, it will be empty in about 30 seconds. I think that's well draining soil.
:lol: :lol: :lol: If I dig down 2 feet in my yard in the middle of summer, I hit standing water! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And in the rainy season, if it rains heavily for 3 or 4 days, I end up with anywhere from 4 to 8 inches of water covering almost all of my back yard. Fortunately, it drains away after a day or two of light/no rain. :lol:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

What is rain?

Jess
Greener Thumb

Charlie MV wrote:What is rain?
:lol: Can I bring my bucket and spade over Charlie? I love making sandcastles :lol:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I'd be delighted to have you Jess. I'll provide all the buckets and trowels you need.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”