Toria810
Newly Registered

cucumbers yellowing

Need some help...please....

I have cucumbers that have been growing nicely on the rails of my deck from a planter. They are a little odd shaped (more round than long and not tubular like a cucumber should be) and they have now turned a strange yellow color. I feed them miracle grow once a week and water almost twice a day (the soil gets dry quickly here in NJ). Any thoughts about this strange discoloration? Is this normal? wil they eventually be edible? any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Toria
Toria

mbaker410

A few things that I would recommend. I live in Baltimore not too far from Jersey and we share similar climates and temps.

1.) Check your soil for moisture. Although the top is dry see what it is a few inches down. You may be over watering and this could contribute to yellowing.

2.) Cukes will get yellow if left on the vine for too long. So if you have not yet picked any cukes try picking some of different sizes and give them a taste to see how they are as far as maturity goes. If they are too mature then they will become bitter as the seeds become ripe. If they are too young then the flesh will not be as crisp although they will taste fine.

3.) Cukes can develop a "curl" from time to time and be fine. I have also had a problem in the past where if I over watered them and they grew too fast and would curl. I can't prove that this is what caused the "curl" but once I watered less they grew slower and straighter.

Mike

Toria810
Newly Registered

Thanks, Mike.
They probably are being over watered. I will cut back.
Toria
Toria

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”