hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Overwintered Pepper Plants

I've never overwintered jalapenos before this year. This summer, three jalapenos were grown in large planters. Those were moved into the greenhouse in November and provided us with a decent stream of jalapenos through the winter. The plants were repotted with fresh soil and fresh fertilizer this spring and were moved back outside. These jalapenos have done pretty well this season but not nearly as well as last. One note however is that my new jalapenos planted this year, have done miserably compared to those three plants last year. They look poor and are not growing. Probably is a combination of many things, but most irregular watering as I've been out of town so much of the summer and have watered with automatic sprinklers. So can't really judge my overwintered ones against last years growth and production.

Anyway to my question. Does anyone know how long a pepper plant will live when protected during the cold season each year? These plants seem to be deveoping very woody stems.

[img]https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3093/2689545678_61e2f47fb3.jpg[/img]

[img]https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3164/2688732813_2b59eeb56a.jpg[/img]

Roger

I read somewhere once before that they can be expected to live three or four seasons regularly if overwintered under protection, and that the occasional specimen may live longer [or shorter.] If I remember rightly, the article mentioned that they gradually loose their vitality over time, bearing less each year, seldom as well as the first years crop when the plant is still quite young.

I have a friend that has a six year old Jalepeno; he says it has never been a heavy producer except the first year, but it still bears the occasional pepper. He keeps it mostly as a container plant/specimen plant.

noqgardener

My husband and I bought some of our (and tomatoes) peppers from a place that had over 80 types of peppers (and 30 types of tomatoes) the guy that was there when we were really seems to know his stuff, he said the peppers we bought would over winter well he showed us his that he had pulled out a few days before, and it already had blossoms on it, he said that some peppers do better than others. the kind he had over wintered and showed us was a muchos nachos

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Roger wrote:I read somewhere once before that they can be expected to live three or four seasons regularly if overwintered under protection, and that the occasional specimen may live longer [or shorter.] If I remember rightly, the article mentioned that they gradually loose their vitality over time, bearing less each year, seldom as well as the first years crop when the plant is still quite young.

I have a friend that has a six year old Jalepeno; he says it has never been a heavy producer except the first year, but it still bears the occasional pepper. He keeps it mostly as a container plant/specimen plant.
ditto!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”