san zanobi
Newly Registered

Transplanting Zukes...is it possible?

The three plants that I started at the beginning of this season have recently been attacked by squash vine borers. I cut into the base the vine on each plant and removed what I think were all the larvae, then packed the cut area with damp soil. I'm crossing my fingers that this will save one or two of the plants. If not, I'll tear them out. I have two other zuke plants (small, maybe 1.5 foot in diameter) planted elsewhere that I'd like to transplant into this spot. Is this possible? Any tips would be great. Thanks.

san zanobi
Newly Registered

Well, it looks as if I might have to rip all the plants out and try to replant. If I buy some seedlings from the store would it be to late to replant? I live in Central VA (zone 6-7).

Arriga
Cool Member

I think it's to late to purchase seedlings now.

Gardener Don
Cool Member

"Zukes" don't transplant well and I doubt you could find seedlings anywhere. Why don't you just plant seed. They pop out of the ground in days. If you have vine borers I would suggest you not plant in the same area. I suspect you would get the same results - dead plants. Good Luck

san zanobi
Newly Registered

"If you have vine borers I would suggest you not plant in the same area. I suspect you would get the same results - dead plants."

Gardener Don, do you mean to say that SVB's emerge continuously throughout the summer? They are definitely in my soil as opposed to the moth just laying eggs.

I was under the impression that there was a time period (June-July) that they hatch...

Gardener Don
Cool Member

Gee, I don't know what the books say, but my experience has been through August. Best of luck.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”