mkforjossie
Newly Registered

Squash fruit dying before bloom opens

I don't know what I'm doing wrong or if I'm doing anything wrong. I've never grown butternut squash before, but I think I should have vegetables by now. I have huge, green, unblemished leaves - check! I know the difference between male and female - check! The males consistently bloom and fall off - check! The females emerge with their little, full, green bulbs with a closed bloom on the end - check! Then they die.... The bloom never opens and the entire thing dies-bulb and bloom. It shrivels up and falls off the vine. It's so sad. I keep thinking "this next bulb is going to survive" and it doesn't. Any ideas what's wrong? Thanks so much!

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Mkforjossie,

Sounds like poor or lack of pollination. You may have to give those boys and girls some help. :oops:
https://pollinator.com/squash.htm

Newt

mkforjossie
Newly Registered

Thanks Newt. The female blossoms aren't even close to opening so I can hand pollinate. I guess I will cut a couple open and give that a try. We'll see. I appreciate it!

57ChevyChick

I'm growing butternut squash this year and I haven't had that problem with them...was having similar problem with yellow squash but they're fine and bearing now.....My butternut squash have several squash on the vines....around the size of baseballs......when do you harvest them...is it after the plant dies? 57ChevyChick

kittenbitten
Newly Registered

I'm having this exact same problem. Does anyone know what is wrong? I can't hand pollinate the female flowers because they don't open and they are too small. The little bulbs are less than a centimeter when they shrivel up and fall off.

Please help. I'd like to have some butternut squash this year.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”