honey
Newly Registered

only "male" squash flowers

I have read about the blossoms on zucchini and yellow crookneck squash being "Male" or "female" and having to be pollinated but all I have are tons and tons of the male blooms. They're beautiful but useless. I read about popping them off or using a q-tip or paintbrush to pollinate the female blossoms but I don't have any female blossoms to speak of. Can I just pop off the male blooms and drag them across any green buds that are just forming?

If all else fails - does anyone have any good recipes for squash blossoms? :lol:

Roger

Sometimes it takes a while longer for the squash to get started; as you mentioned, the male flowers usually begin well before the female parts of the plant flowers. You could try hand pollinating, it wouldn't hurt anything : but I am almost positive all you can really do is just wait on nature to take it's course.

On the other hand ... this is a tasty recipe worth trying, and at least you are getting something out of the plant :

[url]https://homecooking.about.com/od/vegetablerecipes/r/blv261.htm[/url]

mbaker410

How does one tell the difference between the two flowers? Or is it like cucumbers where the male has a stem and the female has a fruit behind it?

Thanks

Sczi

the male has a stem and the female has a fruit behind it
yyyep

mbaker410

Good to know... Thanks

Sczi

I just got back from tending my garden, and I checked out my zucchinis.. mine are all fairly young, and they only seem to have males as well, so the poster above is right.. the females will come along eventually

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”