rigardengal

Pole Beans

I have a row of pole beans growing in the rear of my garden and they have now begun to grow higher than their poles and attach themselves to the evergreen trees along the neighbors side. I continuosly 're-guide' them, but we are wondering if the plants are spending all their energy on climbing and not on producing flowers and beans. What can I do?

Carre

Not that I know anything, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt.

Sounds like your beans are pretty tall if they're over your fence and in your neighbor's trees?

Can you just "top" your beans at a certain height if you're woried about it?

There may be another reason your beans aren't flowering, though.

I've found that wherever my beans go, no matter how far out of bounds, the produce flowers all along the growth and in a timely manner.

May be some one else will respond to you now that your post is at the top of the list again, courtesy of my reply. :P

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I can't see how the suggestion of topping the bean shoots could cause any problem. Would likely stimulate lateral growth. Pole beans, like tomatoes and many other crops, are easy to over stimulate with too much nitrogen. Be patient, as the beans use up the excess nitrogen, you may get a harvest later in the season.

rigardengal

OK! I'm contemplating giving them a trim! Thank you!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”