rebaths

Where to buy asparagus roots

Maybe a silly question, but I have searched the net and can't find a good source of asparagus roots... preferably at least 2 years old.

I'm probably looking for at least 50.

Thanks!!!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I looked for asparagus SEEDS earlier this year. They were pretty scarce. Most vendors offered roots, but I think most of them have run out for the season.

I was looking in late April/early May--late for planting asparagus, but it was as soon as *I* had the bed ready. Most of them have probably removed the selection from their websites.

I'd recommend looking next January unless someone else has a better idea. The "last shipping day" for many of the suppliers was mid- to late May.

And, when you *do* find a vendor, 50 roots will be an easy-to-satisfy order! :)

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

rebaths

Thanks.

I found some roots on Amazon.. would it be OK to plant at this time in Zone 7B?

I realize it may take a couple years before harvest. I just wanted to get them established, as they are going to go behind a split rail fence in the backyard, as part of a privacy 'hedge'.

Gardener Don
Cool Member

I think it would be OK to plant them now. Just be sure to plant them at the proper depth and use plenty of compost. They should have plenty of time to develop a good root system before cold weather. Don

Gardener Don
Cool Member

After I thought about my post last evening, I changed my mind. Who would have viable roots in July? Sorry, but on second thought, I would simply prepare the soil and order from a reputable dealer next spring. Sorry again on my impulse thinking. Don

92Pony
Newly Registered

All: I purchased asparagras crowns a few months ago from www.parkseed.com. They sell one year-old crowns. They were S L O W to ship, but after ordering 40 crowns, I recieved 46 (I think it was) and all but one sent up shoots. I purchased an internet special that ended up being $22 or so before taxes and shipping (which added $10-12).

As far as latest planting dates, a quick phone call or email to them would get an answer to that question. I found them to be pretty good about returning emails. Like said above, their shipping time was terrible (to me - took two weeks to get my order; I'm in the same state as them), but they're a company who's been around for a while and have a good reputation.

Wade

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

You're not kidding about Park Seeds being slow to ship. According to Dave's Garden's "Garden Watchdog" at https://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/ , this has become a chronic problem with them.

Park Seeds has received more negative than positive feedback for the most recent 12 months.

By the way, I have never worked for OR ordered from Park Seeds. I have no personal axe to grind with this company one way or the other.

And, unfortunately for me, I discovered the Garden Watchdog *after* an unsatisfactory experience with a different vendor in May.

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”