Burnet

Succession Planting: Can I plant bush beans in bush beans?

A patch of bush beans is just about to start flowering - I can see buds on two or three plants.

Can I seed a new crop right among these nearly-bearing plants, on the theory that I'll have harvested the first crop and pulled out (or snipped off) the plants before the new crop really needs the space?

Burnet

Roger

You could - but some varieties of bush beans can last a considerable time in the garden with multiple yields of beans. I would be careful not to overcrowd the established plants, as they will compete with & overwhelm the new plantings for nutrients & water in the soil.

I think putting a row of young ones about 4 to 5 inches alongside the established ones would be almost adequate. A little more [6 inches or more] would probably be ideal, but if you are pressed for space in the garden ... ?

Burnet

Ah, OK, thank you. I am indeed pressed for space - there's nowhere to plant beans that isn't already packed full of something else. :) So I may just need to wait until these beans are actually starting to peter out.

Burnet

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”