David Taylor
Cool Member

Seed Storage

Well, I did it again. My eyes were bigger than my plots. I've got a ton of seed left over, some packages open, some not. Any suggestions on how to store them so they last until next season?

Roger

Seeds store pretty well as long as they are kept dry and semi-cool. Paper envelopes works best for me. I store them in envelopes, in a brown paper sack in my desk drawer. You can leave the seeds in the packet they originally came in, with a little piece of tape to keep the opened ones closed. Just don't store them in plastic bags, plastic can trap humidity & moisture, which can lead to fungus/mold. The main thing is to keep them dry.

Most seeds keep fine for one year. There might [or might not] be a little drop in viability next year, depending on how old the seed was to begin with, what type they are, and so on.

David Taylor
Cool Member

Roger,

Thanks. Hopefully I will restrain myself and use what I have. Just a note on how bad I'm getting, though. I found some Baby Pumpkin seed, marked '2000'. They didn't sprout.

JennyC
Green Thumb

Roger,

Do you recommend against storing in the refrigerator? I did okay with pepper seeds stored that way, but I do worry about things getting too cool. We don't have central air, so I'd be afraid of a drawer getting way too hot in the summer. Right now I have my leftovers in papar envelopes in a seed tin, in the fridge.

Roger

Hi Jenny! The optimum temperature range for most seed storage is between 41 - 60 F [5 to 20 C] so a refrigerator works great if the seeds are within something to seal out the ambient humidity. A little reading I did suggests that at that temperature range and well protected from wet conditions, the viability of most seeds can be extended 2 to 4 times normal length.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”