fire 29
Newly Registered

freezing vegetables

Hello, I am new here and new to gardening. I have a quick question, I was talking to a friend and he said to freeze my peas and beans I should snap the ends off, break them into thirds, steam them for about 6-7 minutes then I could freeze them, is this true? And why cant I just pick them and freeze them? Also wondering about peppers and what do I have to do to freeze them? We have 120 pepper plants so we are going to have peppers up the wazoo, looking for a way to preserve everything thanks. Sorry if these are dumb questions this is my first vege garden

canuck

I freeze peas all the time. If you are going to freeze them in the pods they do need to be blanched but if you are going to take the peas out of the pods the peas can just be put in the freezer.
Beans do need to be blanched.

Roger

And why cant I just pick them and freeze them?
Blanching stops enzymes. Even after you pick vegetables, they are still growing and maturing. If you don't blanch them they will brown, age, develop off-tastes, etc while in the freezer. Just about all vegetables should be blanched before freezing.

Except Peppers. You can just slice them any way you want [halved, strips, rings] and pop them in a freezer bag.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”