stechas
Newly Registered

Sweetcorn dilemna

Hi Folks
New to the gardening world this year, seem to have very good greenfingers so far. Unfortunately made the mistake of planting sweetcorn seeds in soil from the garden, so having trouble identifying young shoots from weeds, anyone got any pics or description :D

Thanks
Charlotte

DARK505

Corn tends to grow alot taller and straighter than weeds do... lol, if you cant tell, I would probably wait a bit and you should have no prob finding the 2 ft tall corn lookin things arent weeds :lol:

And welcome to the forum!

praying mantis
Cool Member

I, too, am new to gardening.

I transplanted 24 corn starts 6 weeks ago that are 7ft tall and have both seed tassels and corn silk coming out of everywhere. I planted corn kernels near the adult corn 3.5 weeks ago that are two feet tall. They are competing with squash for sun and space.

My friend gave me an excellent description that helped me identify corn seedlings. The first part is a straight shoot like a pointed spear that comes up two inches before it splits to open out. This first set of 'leaves' is different from the rest of the plant. Mine were a light yellow color. The leaves after the first shoots are green and curl away from the main stem. I had corn sprouting 6 days after planting with regular watering. Quinoa looks almost exactly like my most prolific weed. My friend pulled a quinoa start out before I told her I had planted in that area. We remain friends.

rootsy
Green Thumb

When the corn spikes (comes out of the ground) it'll look like a piece of tightly rolled paper. As it grows the first two leaves will diverge to form a Y initially and then they'll roll over to arch from each side of the stalk. They will eventually become one higher than the other and as the corn grows and more leaves emerge they;ll be staggered more or less.

Unfortunately I have no photos and my youngest sweet corn is probably taller than what I've described by now.

the corn plant will also be lighter in color than grass around it. Very difficult to confuse it with a broadleaf weed.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”