ElizabetinNM
Newly Registered

Too late to grow tomatoes and strawberries?

to grow tomatoes and strawberries? Maybe even cucumbers?
I have an outdoor atruim attached to my master bedroom and I would love to turn it into a mini garden. Right now it isn't ready. I've taken a pic and attached it so you can get an idea of what I am working with. Right now the planting "boxes" are full of sand. I live in NM. I'm planning on digging out all the sand and replacing it with soil. I'm not sure what soil to use. Compost, potting soil, top soil? I know nothing about gardening. . There are 2 big boxes about 4' wide and 3' from front to back, I don't know how deep they are yet. and there is another box that is about 4' wide and 1' from front to back. What would do best in a smaller area? I would like to stick to things we eat regularly like tomatoes, strawberries, and cucumbers, we eat a lot of potatoes but I have no idea how to even start growing those and I don't know if my area is big enough. I can expand the growing area though! I can utilize the entire atrium. Any help would be great.......

[img]https://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i50/Lizzyhall22/IMG_0281.jpg[/img]

Jess
Greener Thumb

Does it get much light Elizabeth? In the picture it does seem quite shaded.
Once you know how deep the boxes are post on here again as there are a lot of ideas racing around in my head as to what you could do with it but depth would be quite crucial. Having said that there is no reason for you not to raise the boxes another foot or so.
You could grow some pretty tender plants in that gap. An espaliered fruit tree would look wonderful on the back wall or even a fig. Cucumbers...fine. What about melons? Tomatoes if there is enough light but they could be grown elsewhere just as easily. Once the frosts have gone they do not need protection or a warm sheltered area.
As for soil, when the sand is removed fill them with a mixture of topsoil and composted manure. This will give the soil a nice weight and make it nutritious
Any other additions would be dependant on what you grow.

ElizabetinNM
Newly Registered

I took the pic about 9 am this morning. The beds do not get full sun in the morning. The front bed and the bed on the left side are currently in full sun. By noon the entire bed area will be in full sun, until about 8pm when the sun starts going down. I just got done digging as much as I wanted to in the heat and it already goes down a good 4' it looks as though there isn't a barrier or cement bottom. Which is good cause that does open my possibilities. The entire atrium is about 10' x 12'. I can take the boxes up or out or however which way I wanted. I was thinking about doing a 3' deepx 2' front to back x 3-4' wide planter box on the right side of the atrium infront of the sliding glass doors that lead to my bedroom. But I don't know what to put in them. I've never grown anything before so this is exciting for me. I just can't handle too much sun which is why my atrium would be perfect. My husband offered to bust up the floor and help me plant the entire area with whatever I want but I have to be able to get around the beds. LoL.

ElizabetinNM
Newly Registered

https://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i50/Lizzyhall22/IMG_0282.jpg

https://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i50/Lizzyhall22/IMG_0285.jpg

https://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i50/Lizzyhall22/IMG_0283.jpg

This is what my sand/soil looks like from under the surface...

https://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i50/Lizzyhall22/IMG_0284.jpg

Jess
Greener Thumb

That is great news about he depth and the aspect. I think you may find it too hot for a lot of things as the sun is on it during the hottest part of the day. What zone are you in? I am UK so I have no idea of your climate.

I still think a fruit tree or fig would be fantastic there. Do you have a preference for peach, apricot or fig? You could also grow a climbing nasturtium which is edible.
With the apricot/peach you can espalier them so they do not take up too much room.
https://www.baag.com.au/images/plants/espalier.jpg
Cucumbers and melon will do fine but I do think it will be too hot for tomatoes and definitely too hot for strawberries. Too much chance of them getting mildew in such a confined space.
Peppers and chillis would like it there and so would aubergines (eggplant)
Fill in any spaces with herbs like thyme and some of the annuals like marigolds (calendula, edible) and borage. These will help with bugs and pollinators as well as giving you flowers to eat. Anymore room could be filled with cut and come salad leaves...Done!

I also noticed a tap in the picture. Perfect. No problem with watering. :)
That still leaves you with enough room to get a little cafe table and a chair in there to sup your gin and tonic in the evening! :D

ElizabetinNM
Newly Registered

I don't like figs or apricots, so I would go with peaches. I'm not sure if my atrium is big enough for a tree though. Someone suggested cherries. I love cherries. If I were to plant strawberries and tomatoes when is the best time to plant them. And yes there is a spigot so watering and the misting system will be a snap. I think I'll have my husband bust up about another 2' of the brick and make one big planting area and still do a couple boxed on either side for plants that don't like to share soil. I don't want my tomatoes tasting like strawberries and my potatoes tasting like peaches. LoL. Do you know anything about growing potatoes?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Hi, Elizabet(h)!

I recommend Sunset's Western Garden Book to everyone gardening in the western states or provinces ("west" by their definition being everything on the Pacific side of the Continental Divide). It's beginner- as well as advanced-gardener friendly.

Albuquerque, NM, is in Sunset Zone 10, described as follows (p. 59):

"Zone 10 High Desert Areas of Arizona and New Mexico

"This zone consists mostly of the 3,300- to 5,000-foot elevations in parts of Arizona and New Mexico. It also includes parts of southern Utah and adjacent California desert. Zone 10 has a definite winter season--75 to more than 100 nights below 32 degrees F (0 deg. C). That favors deciduous fruits, though late frosts can work against apricot crops. In Albuquerque, NM, and Benson and Kingman, AZ, average winter minimums range from 32 to 23 degrees F (0 to -5 C). Lows of 25 to 22 degrees F (-4 to -6 C) often come in April, with extremes averaging 10 to -10 degrees F (-12 to -23 C). The cold winter season calls for spring planting, unlike Zones 12 and 13, where most planting is done in fall.

"More rainfall and less heat distinguish Zone 10 from Zone 11. Annual rainfall averages 12 inches, with more falling in the east, notably less in the west. Most plants in these areas benefit from the extra summer water. The Pecos River drainage receives more precipitation in summer than in winter. Growing seasons are very long, running from 185 to 225 days."

Sunset also gives a detailed listing (4 pages) of peach and nectarine cultivars and their recommended zones. Some cultivars are indeed recommended for Zone 10! :) BTW, my copy is the 7th ed (2001); the 8th was recently released. So it's your choice whether to spring for a brand-new, full-price, up-to-date edition or look on the used market for a significantly less expensive, still very useful, used copy.

An independent nursery/garden supply store near you will be able to give you the best local advice possible: soil quality, drainage, rainfall avg, planting times, most successful crops (of those that you like to eat :wink:), etc. They may also have a copy of the Sunset book to leaf through.

It's pretty late in the season to start much of anything from seed, but this same local gardening business will no doubt have started plants of various sizes that you can transplant, once the soil and/or beds are prepared.

Happy gardening!

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9/Sunset Zone 17

DARK505

Check Osuna Nursury, I was just there this past week and they still had a bunch of tomato plants that were decent size. they were running low on herbs but I wouldnt be surprise if they got more in. Look at the maturity time as far as tomato's go, Early Girls have a maturity period of about 55 days I believe, the rest are 60+ days, so you need to think about when they would be achieving full maturity.

Chili's do very well in our weather, mine are loving life right now, I have already harvested a few, yum!

I'm not sure I would suggest a tree in that area, my peach trees (well established) wouldn't fit in that area, but mine have been around for several years...

Jess
Greener Thumb

When I mentioned a tree I did say espaliered. this makes it wall hugging and it will not take up much space or cast much shadow.
This is a single espaliered peach.
https://www.alfrescostyle.com/file_show_image.php?id=343
Thanks for the info on the climate Cynthia. It is actually very similar to here. We are a little cooler in the summer but winter temperatures are about the same.

ElizabetinNM
Newly Registered

AWESOME!!! I actually didn't know what the word meant. After talking with my mom ( she lives with us ) and my husband I think we have come up with an idea to eliminate digging!!! YAY!!! Were thinking several garden boxes like in the links below. We want to construct something (or buy) that is 2'w x 2' front to back X2' deep. Do basically 2' all the way around. We would love to do maybe 10 of these boxes but will start a bit smaller, maybe 4-5 to start with. I'm wondering if these boxes will be suffecient. I still don't know how much room potatoes need but I was researching a little and the whole process to start potatoes might be too much for me. I'm going to be the only one doing the outdoor gardening. I'm wondering if the boxes will have enough room for a cherry tree to grow. When it gets too big for the box we can move it to the back yard. As with any trees we may grow. With cherries do you need a second pollinator tree? This is what were thinking as far as fruits and veggies
Carrots, potatoes, cucumber, tomatoes, and brussel sprouts for veggies.
For fruit: Strawberries, cherries, cantelope, and maybe watermelon ( the mini kind). As far as what I have mentioned goes can you think of anything that can't be in those boxes? Or maybe require more room? I can make bigger boxes.... Can the carrots and potatoes share a box? Maybe. LoL Do you think this would work? The boxes I mean, and when I say you, I'm refering to anyone that has replied and may reply. LoL Ok I think I have babbled enough for now. BTW I think what I am going to do is get everything ready for the next planting season. I will plant what I can for optimal growth but I'm thinking most everything will be planted in late fall. I still have to do some research on what needs to be planted and when.

https://www.chelseagardencenter.com/images/containers/20_CUBE-TREE-BOX-PLANT.jpg

https://www.larsonpallet.com/images/other-prod/tree-box.jpg

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Good luck with your garden. Don't have high expectations for your garden this year, but concentrate on getting your soil super rich with compost, manure, and maybe even green manures. You'll have time to read up on gardening over the winter and be rearing to go by next spring. You can do it! :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”