BlakeeBoo

Giant Pumpkins

Now is the time to start pumpkins that you would use for Halloween and fall. Let's discuss what to do to grow the big one.

[img]https://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/sheebe43/DSCN1681.jpg[/img]

A lot of people who compete in competitions cover there pumpkins but I don't know what exactly it does.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well, you would buy some seeds for the big guys. I don't have a clue what covering them does.

I actually grow pumpkins for food, not for decorations so, I buy the seeds for smaller and small pumpkins.

Have fun! And anybody who grows the big guys, please let us know what you've done.

BlakeeBoo

I bought some big max seeds and am going to start them soon.

Roger

Too much sunlight causes a premature hardening of the outer skin of the pumpkin and resticts its potential growth. Competitors shade the pumpkins to keep the skin softer and let it expand more.

Good luck and don't forget to post a picture sometime around Halloween !

rootsy
Green Thumb

Produce farmer I worked for through-out high school grew some of the Atlantic's. Loading them out of the field was a real chore. Many times they would fracture by just moving them.

Most are grown for fair competition and not for resale around here.

My pumpkins are up and coming along well. They should be ready end of September / first week of October.

BlakeeBoo

Thanks for the info on shading them I may have to try that

BlakeeBoo

What is the best way to start pumpkin seeds?

rootsy
Green Thumb

I put mine directly into the ground about June 1st. I prefer treated seed. Poncho 250 and Cruiser deter the moles and voles from eating the germ out of the seed and gives the plant some insect protection while it is getting itself going. I also like Thiram as a seed treatment to shield the plant against powdery mildew and damping off....

Of the 650 seeds that went in the ground 606 came up. That's 3 different plant types, 2 untreated and one treated. The treated seeds had 94% germination by my count. The sugar pie (untreated) was @ 98% and the Jack-0-Lanterns are lagging with a lot of singles and a few no sprouts.

BlakeeBoo

What does using a mound, when planting pumpkins, do?

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

I've never planted pumpkins before this year, but from what I've read in order to get big fruits:

Ammend the soil by adding compost and manure 2" deep in a square 3' x 3'. Till it in 6-8" deep. Plant direct in the center of the square about 3 seeds, later to be thinned to only one. After thinning, spread a mulch on the soil (hay or straw is great) 4" deep or more. Then, after the vine blossoms, trim the vine to it only has one fruit on it. Water often. Keep it mulched and watered and it should grow really great!

BlakeeBoo

petalfuzz wrote:Then, after the vine blossoms, trim the vine to it only has one fruit on it.
I don't understand this part of the sentence.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

That means to pluck the miniature fruits off the vine until there is only one left. This way the plant deposits all the sugars in thie one fruit and it will grow bigger.

BlakeeBoo

Oh I guess I should have been able to figure that out lol I feel stupid. Ok I will post pictures of the area I have to prepare.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”