COMPOSTORBUST
Newly Registered

ROMA BEANS

Zone 7 Maryland. I planted Romas the 3rd week of April. They are only 7 inchs high and it is now the 21st of June. I got 30 beans off 4 plants that were delightful. It is the first time I ever planted them and was wondering what went wrong. Turnips and Potatoes next to them did very well. 2 rows over my Bush beans seemed stunted also and the row next to them has Okra which seems slow also. Plants are healthy as can be. Anybody had this problem before?

doccat5
Green Thumb

You might side dress with compost, compost tea or fish emulsion, give them a "boost". Our weather has been so odd, I'm not surprised. My beans are off to a slow start also and I'm also in zone 7. Super heat then cool nights, poor things are confused...........LOL

COMPOSTORBUST
Newly Registered

doccat5 wrote:You might side dress with compost, compost tea or fish emulsion, give them a "boost". Our weather has been so odd, I'm not surprised. My beans are off to a slow start also and I'm also in zone 7. Super heat then cool nights, poor things are confused...........LOL
Thanks for the reply.
I also net searched and found that it could be the amount of sawdust in the compost zapping the N mixed with planting a bit early due to the cooler spring here. Sometimes it doesn't pay to try and get an early start. I replanted the Romas 2 days ago and hope I have better results. The Bush beans got a side dressing of 15-0-0 soda today, doctors orders, lol.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”