rigardengal

And now my celery...

I'm loving my garden and one of the seedlings I purchased at the greenhouse was celery. I've never grown celery before, nor have I seen anyone else grow it.(obviously someone is growing it, since it's out there!!!!!)

Well, it looks quite healthy. Nice and green, but kind of short. How does celery grow? Meaning, how much is 'in the dirt'. I'm wondering why it hasn't gotten much taller than about 6", or is this a vegetable that takes it's time?

I've also read the term 'blanching' a few times, and although I haven't done my google research, I'm asking here first what it means.

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

I've read that blanching celery isn't really done anymore. And you can harvest the celery at any size, so if it doesn't seem to be getting bigger, just cut it down. I've also read that celery isn't really grown in home gardens cause it needs a lot of water. As in a lot.

I believe that what you buy in the store is all "above ground" literally, they just take a machete and cut it off at or about soil level.

Blanching is when you cover the plant to starve it of light. Then the green parts will turn pale. It's supposed to make it more tender or something.

I really want to grow celery next year cause my rabbit just likes the leaves and not the stalks and it's too much money to spend $1-2 to throw out 3/4s of a celery each week. Then I can harvest my own when it's still small and leafy. ;)

rigardengal

Thank you! My celery is looking so nice and healthy and it feels so 'strong'. Perhaps I'll hold the hose over it a bit longer than the others!! And you're right, celery is so darn expensive these days and when I saw it at the green house I got so excited that I wouldn't have to buy it this summer!!!! :lol:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”