carver_girl
Newly Registered

rhubarb ?

This from the Univ. of IL Ext. webpage:
"Do not harvest rhubarb during the first year of planting. Newly set plants need all their foliage to build a strong root system. "

My question. I just transplanted two nice root stocks with foliage a month ago. They have taken off and were from an overgrown plant several years old. Can I go ahead and harvest this year?

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I have two measly little rhubarb plants that I planted just this year. I ran across the same site you did and figured I'd better keep my hands off of them this year. I don't know about transplanted rhubarbs though. Little voice tells me to leave them alone in the first year of transplanting so they get a chance to establish. I'd like to know what others think because I was just offered a third rhubarb plant that is a division of a neighbor's plant and it's a whopper.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I think it best to be safe and let your rhubarb get established this year.

That said, I harvested rhubarb from a newly transplanted plant a few years ago and it didn't kill the plant but, it probably would have faired better if I hadn't have harvested from it.

As I say to everyone I'll reccomend that you beef up the soil around your plant. This fall work mulched leaves and some manure into the soil around your plant.

Also, in the fall what we do with our rhubarb is cut back all the stems and leaves to the soil. Then we sheet compost (described above) over them. Each year we have amazing rhubarb plants with a tonne of rhubarb.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Rats, I was sort of hoping my little voice was going to be wrong. I've got a taste for strawberry rhubarb pie. Now if I could only find a good recipe for strawberry rhubarb pie to stash for next year when my plants will be able to handle being harvested, I'd be in good shape.
Also, in the fall what we do with our rhubarb is cut back all the stems and leaves to the soil. Then we sheet compost (described above) over them.
Thanks for mentioning this, I'll do it at the end of the season.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I'm not sure if you have local farms near you Lorax, but, around here I've been buying rhubarb as well for really cheap at local farm markets.

It's everywhere. And ask your neighbours!

Also, according to my aunt we shouldn't harvest rhubarb in the fall. I don't know why, I presume that the oxalic acid that is deposited in the leaves migrates into the stalks. I've never had any ill effects from eating rhubarb in the fall but, I now follow her advice. All the rhubarb stalks end up in the compost.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

No local farmers markets unless you count one about 20 miles away open one morning a week but if I stumble across one when driving around, I screech to almost a stop to pull in.

One neighbor with chickens down the road. A few neighbors who have decent sized gardens. No cows, goats, or pigs. Mostly horses around here. Lots of horses.

I don't know about harvesting in the fall or not but my mom always tossed out any stems that froze and got mushy. She said we couldn't use them but I can't recall why. Wish she was around to ask but I'll follow suit. Maybe something to do with the oxalic acids but they certainly don't look all that appetizing when they're mushy anyway.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

No I wasn't talking about farmers markets, I was talking about the little farmers individual stands and markets. I have several around here. Really neat and fun.

I freeze rhubarb all the time and it works great.

I actually bought some the other day. That reminds me that I'll need to make some sauce tonight!

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Nope, no little farm stands around here either. They're probably against code or something. The closest thing we have to that would be the Shriners selling onions and we'll buy from them when we see them.

Gotta good strawberry rhubarb pie recipe?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well, my dough is pretty simple: Two parts flour to one part butter and little ice cold water. I like to use whole grain flours more often now.

I just cut up fresh rhubarb and strawberries add a little brown sugar and some cinnamon with some instant tapioca and some corn starch in a bowl.

I blind bake the pie shell before adding the berry mixture for 20 minutes. Then, add the berries and bake for 20 minutes. (All done at 350)

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I'm pretty sure my mom used tapioca in her recipe. I think she also used it in cherry pies. Thanks for letting me know how you make it. Don't recall brown sugar but your recipe should work for me.

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Ooh, rhubarb! I want some. I'm planning on planting some next year, but obviously won't have any to harvest for another 2 years from now. Oh, well!

I think if the plant is very large and beefy and as you said, "overgrown", harvesting a few stalks would probably be allright. I'm sure gardeners "cheat" all the time when no one's looking. ;)

Jess
Greener Thumb

petalfuzz wrote: I'm sure gardeners "cheat" all the time when no one's looking. ;)

:lol: It is impossible not to cheat when those lovely red stems are beckoning.
I have three plants and have to admit to harvesting all of them in the first year. They are all still with me 5 years later.
I love rhubarb but it is not good for anyone with arthritis so I have to limit the amount I eat now. :(

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I thought it was ok for us to eat like a half a pie every few months or has this changed?

Jess
Greener Thumb

I don't know. I was just told to avoid it along with plums, spinach, cranberries, tomatoes, aubergine, potatoes and peppers.
I adore rhubarb, tomatoes and spinach so I eat them more often but very little of the others. That way I feel I am not doing too much damage.
The arthritis was discovered by a masseuse (sp?) shortly after my 30th birthday. She was my present from my hubby. She massaged my hands and asked me if a particular place hurt. She then pressed down inbetween my thumb and forefinger....ouch! Went and saw my GP the following week to get it confirmed. What a great birthday present. :(
Fantastic massage though so it wasn't all bad.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”