bflocat

Bolting Broccoli Already!!

Hi Everyone,

I planted 6 broccoli plants back in the first week of May. They all were doing really well, growing tall and dark green and developing small florets. Then I went away for a few days and we had an early "heat wave" (high 80s in Zone 5b) and when I got back, 3 of the plants had started flowering. The other 3 remain looking tight, but the flowering plants have separated into wide open florets. Is there anything I can do to save them? Any idea why they bolted so early?? Anything I can do to prevent this from happening to the other 3? By the way, they are about 18"-24" high now and they get about 6 hours of full sun each day.

Thanks!

Mommagreen

From what I was told it isn't the heat but the soil temp you could try mulching and watering often, also ipick the good ones and you should get some more heads.

mr_tumnas

Broccolli will flower faster in the heat. Cut of the flowering head and wait for the florets to pop out. Then be sure to pick them before they open. You probably just waited to long to pick the heads. All heads will flower and spread apart eventually regardless of the weather.

It's not all lost though. Young brocolli leaves are also edible and quite tasty IMO.

bflocat

So if I cut the flowering heads, I should get new heads?

I was surprised they bolted so early - it's not really THAT warm here. And, the bolted heads were quite small - only one smaller than the size of my closed fist on each plant - so I didn't even think to pick them so early.

Anyhow, I cut the bolted heads and ate them, and they were great. I'm just wondering what could have happened to make them go so early. We're back into the 60s, so hopefully the other heads will keep growing normally.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”