Wendel42

Help with Hops

Along with being an amateur gardener I have also been making my own beer, so this year I decided to add two Cascade hop plants to my garden to cut down on brewing costs. Both plants are doing well, but one of them has two separate vines coming out of the ground. The main vine has already established itself around the string of my trellis and the second one (the one I'm holding in the picture) is searching for something to hold onto. Is it possible to split the roots and start a new plant or should I just cut off the second vine? If I do cut of the vine can I propagate it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

[img]https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/Wendel42/DSC02266.jpg[/img]

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Wendel42,

I don't think that you need to do anything. The second shoot will simply follow the first. If you wish to propagate it Hops can be layered. Allow the shoot to elongate until it is long enough to be pulled into contact with the soil. The usual method is to make a partial cut through the stem and apply rooting hormone before covering the stem leaving the tip exposed. Of course the shoot will still need some support as it grows. Later this season or perhaps next it can be separated.

Norm

Wendel42

Thanks Norm, I owe you a beer!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Wendel42,

You're welcome. I grew Hops for a few years a while back and the amount of growth they can put on is astounding. I hope your trellis tall. I kept the flowers/cones in the freezer for use over the winter.

Are you brewing from extract or grain? I never made the leap to grain brewing I started to gather/make the equipment but it never happened. My brother in law and myself made a mash tun out of an old 15 gallon stainless steel beer keg but we never did figure out a heat exchanger.

Norm

Wendel42

Norm,

My trellis probably isn't as tall as it should be. I used 2 12ft 4x4s connected at the top with a piece of 2x4 and buried them 2ft deep. With the price of hops these days I figured it would be a worthy experiment.

My neighbor and I have been brewing with grains for a little over a year now. Our brew sculpture is sort of a work in progress, but so far we have an 11gal. cooler for the sparging and two 1/2 barrel kegs for mashing. So far we have been heating them with propane burners, but lately we've been talking about switching to electric heating elements. Our heat exchanger is sort of crude. We ran some copper tubing through a garden hose with the wort running through the copper in the opposite direction of the tap water, but it does a pretty good job for our little operation!

Chris

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Wendel42,

Years ago I knew someone who made a homemade still, it was very small scale, just a novelty really. The condenser consisted of a copper coil inside of an old bucket. The copper exited the bucket near the bottom and the joint was soldered. No solder was in contact with the steam. Cold ice water was kept in the bucket. I don't think this would be sufficient for brewing purposes though.

I think I recall something for brewing made with PVC as a water jacket. I'll see if I can locate the information for you.

Norm

Wendel42

That would be great! Thanks again Norm.

Chris

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Chris,

I have not brewed for a few years now (and never from grain) and was not familiar with the type of counter flow chiller you mentioned. Looking on line, I'm impressed. It is probably more efficient than the type I was referring to which one writer termed a 'hybrid'

Norm

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Ummm...did these hops get started from plants or seeds?

My girlfriend recommends a hops tea (G-d only knows what it tastes like; maybe better w/lots of honey? :wink:) to help stay asleep once I get to sleep at night.

Maybe fresh hops would be better than dried?

How long to maturity on these babies? Any ideas?

And should I look for seed to get a late start this year, or try to find a 4-inch or so plant?

Thx.

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

cynthia_h,

When I purchased mine they were sold as roots. I just checked [url=https://www.nicholsgardennursery.com/store/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=108&mscssid=TVQX85C3R78V9KXNXQ1ALA3C3P37A9X7]Nichols[/url] and they note that they only ship in early spring.

Norm

Wendel42

cynthia_h

I ordered Cascade Hop plants from [url]https://www.jungseed.com[/url], but it doesn't look like they're availabe any longer. From what I've read you will get a modest crop in the first year and a full crop from the second year on.

Also, like Norm said, you need a pretty beefy trellis to support them. I've read about some vines reaching 100lbs.

Chris

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Yes, sadly, I looked some stuff up on the Net last night after the "roots" message.

Wow. Hops are (is???) as complicated as asparagus! :shock:

And there's absolutely nowhere here that I could have a 25-foot tall plant. *sigh*

I'll have to tell Nancy to find another plan...

Thanks!

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

mlink
Newly Registered

Propagate hops by layering or cutting the rhizomes. Both can be done on mature plants, after two or three years.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

As the hops plant gets older, it will send up more vines. Not a problem. Just give it something to climb. I made a tripod using steel electrical conduit. Spaced 2 feet on the bottom and all tied together on top. 10 feet tall. At first the vine din't like to climb the metal, I think it was too slick, so I took some twine and wrapped it around the pipe. The vines then went up the pipe OK. Each year the vines die and the roots send up new vines from the ground. I left the first years vines and the new vines had no problem climbing those the second year. Since the first year, this vine is self tending. If my support was taller, I am sure the plant would go much higher. This is a novelty for me as I don't brew. It is sure a beautiful and interesting plant in the hemp family. Waiting for the feds to come see what I'm growing. :twisted:

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/hops_vine.jpg[/img]

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

All grain beer is the simplest and cheapest way to make beer. You also have absolute control over the flavor.

I went to the local beer club meetings and tasted several beers and made notes. Then I bought a book called, Dave Millers Homebrewing Guide. After reading most of the book I understand more about beer and flavor.

I learned from the beer club meetings that British Brown Ale is my favor beer. 5.5 lbs British pale ale malt, 8 0z british crystal malt, 4 oz chocolate malt, 1 lb dark brown sugar, 5 AAU Fuggle pellet hops or Norther Brewer hops it makes 5 gallons of beer. It is so easy add about 2 gallons of water to the grain and heat to 155 degrees F for 15 minutes. Drain off the water add another 1 gallon of water and drain it off. Add 1 more gallon of water then drain it off then add 1 more gallon of water and drain it off. Add hops to the liquid and boil for 1 hour. Add enough ice to make 5 gallons of liquid. When temperature is about 80 degrees sprinkle yeast on the surface and let it ferment. When hydrometer says about 1.030 move liquid from primary to secondary fermentor with an air lock. Let it set about 2 weeks siphon off liquid clean out fermentor put liquid back into fermentor for 2 more weeks gravity should be about 1.010 then add 5/8 cup of corn sugar stir until dissolved then bottle. In 4 weeks it is ready to drink. This batch of beer costs me about $12 for 5 gallons. This is a nice heavy body rich in flavor beer.

Irish Oatmeal Stout is my second favorite and German Oktoberfest beer is my 3rd favorite beer.

I wish I have my own home grown hops. If I had enough room to plant hops I would.

Hops is very good in soup and other foods it makes a great spice.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”