tcy1227

Cukes in Tin Planter

Hi All,

My girlfried bought a big oval tin flower planter and wants me to (trans)plant our cucumbers into it. I was wondeing if the metal would have any effect on the cukes (I.e toxins, bad taste, etc...)??

Thanks

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I don't see why not. Most of our canned goods come in tin cans. We get specialty wafers during the holidays in tins. Sardines come in tins. Our flour and sugar bins are tin lined. I think some old ice boxes were tin lined. Come to think of it, tin seems to be used a lot for food storage.

The only thing I would be concerned about would be if there were drainage holes in the bottom of that planter.

Mommagreen

Should be fine, like pp make sure you drill some holes in the bottom for drainage.

JennyC
Green Thumb

If it's really tin, be careful. According to hubby the chemistry teacher, most tin is an alloy of tin and lead. (By the way, food "tin cans" have been made of steel for decades now.)

He said that newer tin items would most likely be safer (not safe) than old ones, as the lead content will probably be lower, and some older alloys also contained mercury.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Egads-
He said that newer tin items would most likely be safer (not safe) than old ones, as the lead content will probably be lower, and some older alloys also contained mercury.
Have been going through my old posts looking for one lousy recipe and a link to a DIY and found you had posted in this thread. So much for using tin anything for planting an edible.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Most of those grey oval planters will not be tin unless they are antique. The heavy duty grey metal buckets and tubs are generally galvanized steel which is a coating of zinc over steel. Should be fine for planting edibles.

Tin can is one of those holdover expressions, just like 'tin' roof. There is no such thing as a tin roof unless from a very old structure. Those have been made from either aluminum or galvanized steel for decades.

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

My concern would be that the metal container would heat the soil. Be sure to water regularly!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”