Buckshot
Newly Registered

Just saying Hi Y'ALL

Hello everyone, I am a new member and have been gardening for 35 of my 52yrs and am still learning thanks to people like y’all. I started my gardening in Minnesota and now I am in Dallas Texas. What a difference in the two areas, in Northern Minnesota most of the soil is sandy loam and you can grow anything. Here in Dallas it is Black Clay plenty of nutrients but not much for drainage so everything has to be amended. Just about everything I do is in raised beds because I have to add so much organic material I almost triple the amount of medium. I started here in Dallas in 2003 with 20 Tomato Plants, 24 Pepper plants and I Transplanted a Thornless Blackberry plant we got from my whiffs great uncle in Arkansas. The tomatoes and peppers did great but I didn’t get any blackberries. Of course I didn’t know anything about blackberries at the time and I did just about everything I could to kill it. Well I read up on Blackberries and I purchased three more strains in 2004 that the University of Arkansas has patented. This year I have 9 thornless Blackberries and am getting a very nice harvest of the biggest black berries I have ever seen almost golf ball size and sweeeeeeeet. We have 48 tomatos, 35 peppers, 10 elephant garlic, 300 onions, just harvested 20 Broccoli and I planted 50 Asparagus in March. Now here in Dallas it is all about the heat and lack of rain so here comes the water bill. I should not be complaining the poor people in the Mid-West are wishing they had dry weather. Well just wanted to say hi and that I enjoy reading the Posts

Good luck and God Bless

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hi buckshot, you sound very experienced. Welcome to the HG! I look forward to reading your experiences with gardening over the years and the inight that you have on working with the soil.

Sandy soil is the easiest to work with and easiest to ammend but, clay soil is the most resistant to erosion. So, in actual fact you are in the best of situations.

As always, the way to improve soil is to add organic matter. Continue your raised beds for current growing but, use trench composting and sheet composting to add organic matter (leaves are great along with manure, and used coffee grounds from local coffee shops) to the clay.

Actually, in high clay systems non cedar based saw dust does miracles when combined with a green like manure and what not.

Look forward to hearing about you. I'm jealous of your blackberries, they sound so good!

I came across some last year that were the size of golf balls and oh so sweet.
Feed the soil, not the plants.

cheshirekat

Mmmm. Tomatoes. Are you growing different varieties of tomatoes? Are your peppers all sweet/bell peppers?

Yeah, I know what you mean about paying for the water we use to garden. I got my water bill yesterday and have been afraid to look at it. I am growing much more than I previously have so I'm sure I will pay more for the privilege of avoiding the chemically laden, diseased store food. And today I gave all my edibles extra water because it will be very hot tomorrow and I'd like to have more time to sit in the shade. Also gave some fertilizer out front. Need to apply the fish emulsion tomorrow evening for the veggies.
"Love all God's creatures, the animals, the plants. Love everything to perceive the divine mystery in all." -Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”