Sentinel

Flys and Maggots

I was working in the garden yesterday and noticed some maggots in the dirt. Not to mention I have noticed a lot of flys aground lately. I am guessing they came in as part of my soil mix and the manure in it. But I am new to this and not sure. I guess my question is this somewhat normal, and if not what are the steps to get rid of them because they are a real nuisance. Thanks for your help.

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi sentinel. :D

Two reasons for maggots in your soil.
Firstly the manure is not fully rotted which is not a good thing and could affect any plants growing in it. I would be wary of planting anything in manure that is still fresh.
Secondly something has died and is rotting in the soil to attract the flies. This would be the lesser of two evils although not nice to have to dig in.
Is it just in one particular place or all over?

Sentinel

Its really just in two spots, but I think it started as one spot and I moved some of the soil around. I did not find anything dead in or around, but there are lots of flys and maggots and they are the green flys which if I understand correctly are usually attributed to dead/decaying animal carcass. Is there anything I can spray on the spots that will knock them out. The plants seem to be doing great, I just planted a week and half ago and things are growing like crazy. Thanks for the help.

Jess
Greener Thumb

Ok. Lets presume it is something decaying.
I don't know about sprays but if you have any mint or bay growing in your garden you could crush these and sprinkle around the two areas in question and see if that works. Flies can smell death and you have to overpower that smell to make them lose interest.
These work in a confined area but I have never tried them in the open air.

applestar
Mod

What about using Diatomatious Earth? (Not the pool filter kind which is heat treated and is dangerous if inhaled) Usually available from feed store. Sometimes available in garden centers.

Sentinel

Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I think I may have figured it out. I think there is a neighborhood cat using my garden as a litter box. I think that may be where they are coming from. Now I have to try and figure out a way to keep the cats out

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”