Digardener
Newly Registered

Something is eating the leaves on my potato plants

My potato plants are about 30 cm. high and were very healthy looking until end of last week when I noticed holes appearing in some of the leaves on 1 plant. I didn't take a lot of notice but a day or so later the plant had virtually no leaves and ressembled something that had been attacked by caterpillars - no sign of any though.

I tried dusting the leaves of all plants with an organic dust - like derris.
Doesn't seem to have helped as now several more plants are being eaten. :(
I've looked carefully at the backs of the leaves of the plants - all I have found are what seem to be very tiny (pin head) hard black dots which my or may not be insects - my eyesight is not brilliant. There are soft black 'worm-like' soft lumps left on the leaves (like excrement). I've seen a few leaves which seem to have a small black spot? inside the surface of the leaves.

I sprayed all the leaves and stems yesterday with soapy water and tried to remove everything on them. I don't want the pest to move to my tomato plants or even salad crops. :cry:
I don't know what to do. Any suggestions as to what it is and how to cure?
Thank you

Jess
Greener Thumb

Sounds like snails. Any sign of slime at all? It was incredibly wet last week which would have made them very active.
There are not many pests that eat them as they are poisonous but slugs and snails do, both the leaves and the tubers.

Try https://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=61_179&products_id=1821 or beer traps

Chances are it is just one or two snails. It is amazing how much those things can eat in one night! :x

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Plant high nectar container flowers around your sqaush plants to attract beneficial insects and plant sunflowers to attract more birds for snails..

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=335

Digardener
Newly Registered

Jess wrote:Sounds like snails. Any sign of slime at all? It was incredibly wet last week which would have made them very active.
There are not many pests that eat them as they are poisonous but slugs and snails do, both the leaves and the tubers.
:x
Was told yesterday that it is probably the potato Capsid bug, and having checked online this may be correct. I did see something dropping from the plant to the ground which is what the bugs do when disturbed. It looks as though it may be eating the leaves and also laying eggs(?) on the leaves.

Now I need to get rid of it while I still have leaves on the plants! Not sure how to suceed with this :?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”