mbuckleman
Newly Registered

Whoops! Danger of Gardening Too Fast

The other day I'm rushing to get the grass cut before it rains.... and I get done mowing and starting trimming....

I'm trimming around the edges of the garden, and got a little sloppy-

WHACK!!! there goes a cherry tomato plant! Bummer!

Chalk this one up to another lesson learned!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Oh I've done that before! :wink: When weed wacking cover crops, i've taken out some plants as well.

Oh well, more for you compost.

Also, tomatoe leaves are really nice in a salad so, you can use them for that as well.
Feed the soil, not the plants.

webmaster
Site Admin

Ha! My wife did the same thing years ago while deploying a weed whacker!

NEWisc

I'm not sure it's a good idea to use tomato leaves in a salad:
https://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=40185

Check more info before you do that.
Age is a biological fact.
Old is a state of mind.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Newisc, I'll have to research that a little more. I hope I haven't been poisoning myself all these years.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

https://www.ecochem.com/resource_saponin.html

[url=https://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T6P-4123CNB-1&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=530b5114fd9d106b76dc7186f7a2961f]ScienceDirect.com[/url]

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1215657

https://www.springerlink.com/content/j048u1jl1270n036/

This is a good point that Newisc brought up because most of the Solanaceae are highly toxic plants.

These are just a few abstracts on Tomatine and it's toxicology.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

The four links posted don't make sense. We're discussing people eating the leaves of tomatoes not people eating the fruits of tomato plants or hamsters or guinea pigs or plant immune systems or anything else. I was always told that tomato leaves were not to be eaten because they could get me really sick. My mother told me this so it has to be true ;) I have been telling my kids to never eat tomato leaves because they'll get really sick. Moms are supposed to ALWAYS be right! I know this because I am a mom and I keep telling my kids that even if I'm wrong I'm right.

Granted dogs are different than people but a few days ago one of our dogs ate off the whole top of one of my precious tomato plants. It was one of my First Lady tomatoes and it was closest to the top of the driveway. We always walk our dogs on leashes and our dog did it because my husband wasn't paying attention to him while he chatted with a neighbor after work. Cedric barfed everywhere. And then he got the runs. This is a dog that is over 200 pounds. When I saw what had happened and put two and two together, I called my vet. My vet said the dog was probably going to get really sick (well, that was already happening) and to call back if there were any signs of dehydration and he rattled off a few other symptoms to be on the look out for. He said there was no need to pump the dog's stomach. I got the distinct impression tomato leaves were poisonous but not as poisonous to my dog as say raisins or grapes. I can't believe so much barf came out of one dog for eating one tomato plant that was only 18" tall. I don't know if ingesting only one tomato leaf would have done this to him but he did eat at least 6 if not 8 leaves. Whatever the plant had on it was what he ate leaving about half of the stem. Our dogs are chow hounds and eat anything that drops to the kitchen floor and this includes tomatoes, celery, green peppers, and onions. Those have never had the same effect on our dogs as what the First Lady plant did.

Now I'm curious if I'm right or wrong about tomato leaves!

Editing to add-
https://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/poison/Lycopes.htm
excerpt from above-
Scientific Name
Lycopersicon esculentum
Common Name
Tomato

CHARACTERISTICS

FAMILY
Solanaceae
PLANT DESCRIPTION
Annual herb, strong-scented; leaves alternate, simple but deeply pinnately lobed and toothed; flowers 5-parted, yellow; fruit a red or yellow berry.
ORIGIN
South America.
WHERE FOUND
Landscape in vegetable gardens, cultivated for fruit.
MODE
Ingestion
POISONOUS PART
Leaves and stems.
SYMPTOMS
Headache, abdominal pain, dilated pupils, vomiting, diarrhea, circulatory and respiratory depression, loss of sensation.
EDIBILITY
EDIBLE PARTS: Berries (tomatoes) edible when unripe (green) or ripe (red), and raw, cooked, or dried.
TOXIC PRINCIPLE
Glycoalkoloids: solanine and demissine.
Severity
TOXIC ONLY IF LARGE QUANTITIES EATEN.
also found this-
https://www.tomatoesareevil.com/tomatohealth.htm
excerpt from above-
The tomato, as a member of the Nightshade family, contains a bitter poisonous alkaloid called "Solanine".
Solanine is toxic to humans, but it requires a concentrated amount to induce sickness.
But for a cat, on the other side, traces of Solanin, like those found in just a 100g of cherry tomatoes, can be fatal!
https://www.ct.gov/CAES/cwp/view.asp?a=2815&q=376888&pp=12&n=1-
excerpt from above-
An example is the Nightshade Family. This family has many members that are considered poisonous plants although not every member is poisonous or even every part of a single poisonous plant contains the poisonous ingredient. For example, the cultivated tomato, Lycopersicon esculentum, is a member of the Nightshade Family but the ripe fruit are nontoxic. In contrast, all parts of Belladonna or deadly nightshade, Atropa belladonna, are toxic. Additionally, many plants are only mildly poisonous or cause symptoms only in unusual circumstances such as when they are consumed in great quantity

Looks as if tomato leaves and stems are poisonous if one consumes enough of them. With what happened to our dog, I think I'll continue to tell my kids the same thing my mother told me.

wurzelgummidge

i heard somewhere that tomatoes are related to spuds
he who knows all does not exist

mbuckleman
Newly Registered

Oddly enough, the completely decimated cherry tomato plant has sprouted an entirely new plant from the side of the old main stem. Its already 8" tall in just a week. I have no idea if it will produce fruit, but it should be an interesting test.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Mine shot up some new growth too! My First Lady tomato is at about 6"!

koonaone
Location: Lillooet - HighBar - Cariboo, BC - Bioregions of Corrdilera

After about post 2 I went out on the porch and had a mouth full of tomatoe leaves (1 from each plant) very good I thought, Untill I Got Back in Here and Read The rest of the Posts.
Now I'm worried. i'll post back if it gets serious, I think.

douglas

Oh well, nature selects by extermination of the unfit, not by keeping whats nice, and I am overweight. A bit.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Inquiring minds want to know! Are you alive and kicking out there this morning? If so; did it come out one end, both ends, or no ends? We women out there are depending on you to give us the skinny on using tomato leaves as a potential weight loss salad additive.

doccat5
Green Thumb

WOW! If it works we could get together and patten the idea, make a mint on the diet scene! LOL Or is that bulimea? LOL
doccat5

I'd rather be gardening!

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I think you're onto something. I see possibilities here.

koonaone
Location: Lillooet - HighBar - Cariboo, BC - Bioregions of Corrdilera

Hear ye

douglas is just fine. I washed the tomatoe leafs down with a pint of guinnes stout and slept the sleep of the just.

The dose was perhaps 1/4 diced cup, on an empty stomach. They tasted OK enough to maybe add to a salad on occasion.

No symptoms whatsoever, and no noticeable weight loss.

douglas

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the
cheese.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I'm told chivalry is dead but I don't believe it. doccat, you don't believe chivalry is dead do you?

Me personally, I'm a tad bit nervous about trying this little experiment. My dog weighs over 200 lbs and my best guess is he ate somewhere around a whole C of diced leaves and stem before it started coming out the front end. Wasn't until after we went to bed that it started coming out the other end. I know this because the next morning I awoke to a rather powerful aroma wafting up the stairs to greet me. I'd love to know what kind of an affect 1/2C has on an adult. koonaone, would you be brave enough to do us the honors of raising the stakes by doubling the quantity you consume the next time you're feeling as if you'd like to be an experimental guinea pig? I'm still thinking there may be some possibilities for weight loss here.

Have a great weekend all. I'm off with friends to explore the great outdoors. I'm leaving to go bogging for the weekend!

nan1234

Tomatoes were considered poisonous when they were brought to Europe as decorative plants. Europeans thought they were poisonous because they cooked tomatoes with both fruits and leaves. Is this the story of tomato or potato? I can not remember.

doccat5
Green Thumb

Well, I'm not willing to experiment with tomato leaves as they are a member of the Nightshade family. There are so many other great tasting alternatives and I'm not into Earl Gibbons well not on some things anyway.
doccat5

I'd rather be gardening!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, nightshades in general are very toxic however, I have eaten tomatoe leaves in small quantities in the past and had no ill effects. If someone knows of a good article on the toxicity of tomatoe leaves, it would be great if you could post it here.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Don't know that any research is readily available and out there for the taking specifically on tomato leaves... must be that there are too many people out there who had moms who told them not to eat the leaves or stems of tomatoes.

Toxicity of glycoalkaloids present in plants of the Solanaceae family has been well documented though.

For what its worth, I took the plunge and sampled a tomato leaf. Figured if you and koonaone were sampling tomato leaves that I wouldn't fall over dead on the spot. Did not sample a stem. Nasty taste to me and can't imagine why anyone would want to toss those leaves in a salad other than to be able to say they did it. Definitely wouldn't add anything to a salad as far as I'm concerned. Yuckie taste. Can't believe my dumb dog kept eating it after the first few chews and definitely can't believe he swallowed right about now.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I can definitely see people having different tastes but a dog eating them with that bitter twang to them?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I've never really found them bitter, however I have noticed a bit of a twang. Where did I first hear about eating them? Oh yes, it was the food network.

My dad's dog like to eat beans right off the vine and apples right off the tree!

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

You can't be the only one out there. I found two references to chefs adding tomato leaves to salads back when the subject first came up.

Your dad's dog is a goofy as mine are. My dogs would eat beans if a few dropped to the floor while I was cooking. They've mouthed apple slices that fell to the ground but they didn't eat them. They seem to be more apt to swallow something if they think one of the other dogs or cats is interested in what they've got. I guess this falls into the category of sibling rivalry.

JennyC
Green Thumb

My little hound dog beats me to all the wild strawberries that grow in the yard. Stiffs them out, picks them (bites them loose), and eats them. I won't be offering him any tomato leaves, as he's sure to gobble them. Anything he thinks is people food (he saw me picking the strawberries and learned from that).

Make sure you guys keep the dogs away from grapes -- toxic to dogs, according to the American Humane Society.
Jenny C

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”