applestar
Mod

Is this slime mold?

I found these lumpy fluorescent red-orange *things* under my broccoli this morning. :shock:
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image945.jpg[/img] [img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image947.jpg[/img]
(BTW that little seedling growing next to it is a weed, isn't it?)

Is it slime mold? Is it safe? They all turned brown by the end of the day.
The broccoli in this photo doesn't look too bad, but another one with similar mass under it is looking stressed, has lost a leaf (turned yellow), and started to bolt it's little head so I chopped it off. Is it related :?:

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I don't recommend that as myxomycota (slime mold). But, that doesn't mean that it isn't.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Try Lycogala epidendrum (Wolf's Milk Slime Mold). If you think that's what you have, they're friend not foe.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I usually just remove stuff like this with my trowel and dump it into the Biostack to be composted.

If it were black mold (Botrytis?), I'd stuff it into a ziplock bag, double-bag it, and put it into the garbage.

But regular white/green/gray/orange/weird molds I just put into the compost and get AWAY from my veggies.

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9/Sunset Zone 17

applestar
Mod

Thanks. I forgot about this one. I think Lorax has ID'd it. Did an image search and found one that looks just like the ones in my garden. Like I said, they turned brown and basically disappeared by next day so I didn't think much of it. Glad to hear they're friend.

Since this is a new lasagna/raised bed that started out as a lawn, I'm not surprised that all kinds of decomposition process is still taking place. The veggies started to look a little pale (not green enough) -- probably used up all the "good stuff" I tossed in and/or the roots hit the cardboard where the nitrogen is being tied up, so I've been giving them Fish emulsion (stinky stuff but you got do what you gotta do :wink:), and they're looking much better. I've also hilled the heavy feeders (corn, pumpkin) with a special mix of bottom of compost bin, and under-the-woodpile soil along with a few scoops of alfalfa pellets and handful of greensand and rock phosphate. (Yeah Yeah, my version of *elementary* chemistry. I don't measure when I'm cooking either :lol: )

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I found this thread by accident when I was searching for Charile's thread to be able to post a link to it in yet another thread and put the words slime + mold into the search engine. I clicked on it and it was a totally different thread. Took a look at your photo and was pretty sure you had L. epidendrum.

Ah ha ha ha ha!
special mix of bottom of compost bin, and under-the-woodpile soil

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Whatever it is, it looks yucky!

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Gee, I thought it looked sort of festive and added a splash of color to her garden! Serious!

dawnj76
Newly Registered

thanks that is exactly what it is :D , glad it nothing serious

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”