kitty-lover

Japanese Beetles

Last year we had a plague of these things. Our fruit trees were covered by big clumps of bugs. Is there anything I can do now to help their invasion?

nan1234

Hang 2 or 3 Japanese beatle traps 10 feet away from your fruit trees and 1~2 feet above the ground. I do this every year since June before the beatles come out.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Great idea nan, thanks!

Roger

Plant Four-O'clocks [Mirabilis jalapa] somewhere near the area that is persistently infested. The 4 o'clocks draw Japanese beetles to them at least as effectively as a bait/trap, and they will feed heavily on the flowers and leaves. Usually within a day, the beetles will die - this plant is toxic if ingested, but for some reason, Japanese Beetles seem to favor it over a lot of other plants.

The are very easy to grow and tolerates almost any soil conditions. And very pretty flowers.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Wow, that's a great idea Roger. Thanks!

Some information on Four O clocks:

https://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=MIMU

https://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Mirabilis+multiflora

Personally, I would choose this method as it is less invasive and won't potentially harm the soil.

Gardener Don
Cool Member

Four O'clocks do work! Regarding the beetle traps, remember the Japanese beetles will fly up to a mile to an attractant. It might be better to buy all of your neighbors the traps. I live in the country, Southern Illinois, with local soybean fields and the beetles swarm everywhere by the thousands. The only way I have found to control them effectively from eating everything up is with Sevin spraying almost every day. While I know there are those on this forum that want to stay organic, and I support the efforts, sometimes I just have to get practical. Gardener Don

rootsy
Green Thumb

When the disposable bags get full of beetles, I cut them off at the neck and toss the bag full... I then grab a large coffee can and hang it from the beetle trap and cut a hole in the lid. I snake the part of the bag I left through that hole. Coffee can will hold a heckuva lot more beetles and it's a lot less expensive and reusable.

I grow a LOT of sweet corn and they sure have a sweet tooth...

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”