rcrev
Newly Registered

Jalapeño Plant Flowering is it to early

Hi all. I put my plants into the ground last week and one plant a purple Jalapeño is about 18 inches tall. Yesterday it had a full lovely purple flower almost an inch in Diameter. Is it to soon for it to be flowering? Should I pinch it off?

The bright side is the plant looked a little droopy the first to days but his since perked up. I guess it likes the soil.

Ray

praying mantis
Cool Member

I can not provide you with reliable information, because I am very new to gardening. I was pinching tomato plant branching and flowers for the first few weeks when the plants were weak and the roots had not had a chance to dig in. The plants are supported on a trellis and are now established. I am no longer pinching flowers.
I did not pinch my pepper plants at all. I have a bell pepper growing on my pepper plant. The plant is growing lower branches and leaves which should help with stability while the bell pepper is growing out. If the plant sags from the weight, I am resolved to stabilize it with a stake.
I have 18 different pepper plants with flowers at different stages. My Thai Dragon has 3 peppers growing out with other flowers blooming.
Good luck with your peppers.

Reptilicus
Cool Member

I didn't pinch off any flowers on mine. Sounds like the same situation that my plants were in. I've had quite a few peppers so far. They seem to grow well, at least in my climate. I've been hittin'em with miracle grow every week.... I know I should go organic. I hope to next year. I'm still learning. :wink:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”