Addicted

question about sea weed

I have 4 small tomato plants and 4 small bell pepper plants i need to re pot after buying them,and i collected some sea weed today for them.However i will have to wait a week to re pot them,how can i store the sea week untill use?And also i Don't even know if this or any sea weed is good for fertilizer.

Can all sea weed be used?,and if so how much and how do you use it with the peppers and tomatoes?How do i store it for a few days?

Jason.

Cuke

Seaweed is a great fertilizer for plants.None of my local stores carry it though.I don't know how much you need to give to your plants or how to store it for the time being,but you're lucky to get fresh seaweed.

Addicted

but you're lucky to get fresh seaweed.
I guess so,I love the ocean!there is more sea weed here than i could ever use,Fish too!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Seaweed is great stuff. Yes you can store it if you just cut it up and wash some of the salt out of it. Keep the air at it so that it doesn't go anaerobic on you and if you have any, mix in some leaves in with it.

I add buckets and buckets of seaweed to my garden each year and it does wonders!

For those who don't have access to a beach, Kelp meal is great stuff as well.
Feed the soil, not the plants.

Addicted

That's good to hear,About how much for like a 4 gallon pot?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well, there's no real recipe; just mix it as you would with any other green.

For instance, when I combine manure in my pots, I add about 3 parts soil to 1 part manure.

You can do that with seaweed as well. But, like I say there are no hardfast rules in gardening. Experiment a little and find out what works best for you.

Have fun!

Also, if ever you find any Jellyfish washed up on the shore, they are great for the compost pile as well. Don't forget to mix them with browns.
Feed the soil, not the plants.

Addicted

Great,I will start with 1/3 ratio and see how i like it.One more question here so i Don't have to start another thread...I would imagine tomato plants would be too big for a window box?Could my bell peppers go in one or two?

Jason.

wurzelgummidge

Addicted wrote:Great,I will start with 1/3 ratio and see how I like it.One more question here so I Don't have to start another thread...I would imagine tomato plants would be too big for a window box?Could my bell peppers go in one or two?

Jason.
tomatoes and bell peppers will grow in window boxes but you may not get as much fruit as you would in a large container or the ground,make sure you feed when fruit starts to form
he who knows all does not exist

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”