newsunrise

What is the best way to Harden off .....

If there is a thread for this I am sorry I couldn't find it :oops:
The kids planted Pumpkin, spaghetti squash, and watermellon I planted peppers in the house about 5 weeks ago we are frost free at night now so I think they can be moved outside. What is the best way to do this? they are potted in 5 inch pots that are easily removed. I know they don't handle transplanting well.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Take your plants out during the day and in during the night for about a week. That should do the trick.

newsunrise

thanks :oops: I shoulda known that but have never really started anything inside before and didn't want to make a mistake and kill my childrens plants...... they will be happy! :D

Trentt

If you can devote the time to it, start with a short period (an hour or two) and gradually lengthen their outdoor time over the course of a week or two, eventually leaving them out full time once the stems have hardened enough to withstand wind and the temperatures are not in the danger zone.

I winter-sow almost everything now (except impatiens this year), which allows me to skip the hardening-off process.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”