pete28

When to Pick Carrots?

I looked through the search thing but couldnt find a precise answer. I was trying to figure out when to pick my carrots? Ok I planted them on March 31. the tops are about 6 inches long. I thought Iwould gently dig around some and take a look at them and I found they were ony about an inch long. Now the only other question I had is whether or not I should seperate them or not. Any help would be great.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

What does your seed packet say?

March 31 isn't quite 60 days in the past.

I can't remember how long "my" carrots are supposed to take, but I know that they're more than 60 days.

Variety? Kind of soil? Recent weather? Watering habit?

All of these will help us answer your question.

Happy gardening!

Cynthia H.
El Cerrito, CA
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

Roger

Some varieties take longer than 60 days - some as much as 75 or more. Me personally, I begin pulling and using them when the crowns gets about 3/4 to an inch in diameter.

pete28

So I wil be able to see the carrots on the top? Will it emerge? The weather has been very mild for north florida lately and the soil is fairlt loose. It has a lot of manure in it. The pack says 70-75 days so I guess I will wait. Thanks folks.

Roger

So I wil be able to see the carrots on the top? Will it emerge?
Sometimes the soil will wear down around the shoulders of the root, sometimes not. I usually just pull a little away and take a peek, and if not large enough yet, hill the soil back up around the root top. Sunlight will turn them green if they remain exposed, and I personally don't like the taste of the greened root. Some people leave them a little exposed, like an onion, where they can judge them at a glance. To each his own :)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Growing carrots is a bit of a waiting game. you have to watch them and when you see the roots sticking out of the soil a bit, it's time to pick.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”