Samuel
Newly Registered

Melons

I Tried To grow muskmelon (cantaloupe) last year during the summer, but only ended up getting one fruit out of maybe 8 plants. I got several half grown ones that stopped growing in the middle of the season, and the plants got bacterial wilt (due to cucumber beetles).
The one melon I got, however, was Very good, much better than store bought. I'm not sure what the soil PH was, though.
I'm planning on growing melons again this year, so if anyone has advice on how I can produce more fruit, I would greatly appreciate it.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

From talking to produce managers over the years, I've learned that melons LOVE rich, sandy soil. Maybe sand + lots of compost?

I don't know what kind of soil you have where you live, but maybe a raised bed could provide the conditions the melons prefer. I'm trying a Charantais melon plant from seed this year--yes, in a raised bed.

So far, a seedling...

Cynthia H.
El Cerrito, CA
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Melons love heat as well, so try a small greenhouse. And plant them in a different spot than last year.

Samuel
Newly Registered

I do have raised beds, but the weather is maybe a little cold for them. I was thing of maybe floating row covers or IRT plastic.
As for the ph, I never got a good reading because the soil mixed in with the testing solution and became sludge.

Thanks,

-Sam

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I did a quick google search to try and find out what the polymer for IRT plastic was but, instead found this:

https://hortweb.cas.psu.edu/vegcrops/vegetable_gazette/2005/march2005.htm#organic

also found this link:

https://ohioline.osu.edu/b672/pdf/Irrigation.pdf

Couldn't find anything to say that whatever Carbon structure this is made from is either stable or unstable. I have used clear plastic in the past with no ill effects that I could pick out.

Though, I would like to know more about the actual structures of the plastics that we are using.

PVC is a plastic that is widely used in both irrigatoin systems and in houses and this plastic leaks plasticizers which are known toxins, the question is how toxic are they?

Polypropylene (technically the name should be Polypropene but, we like to stick to old nomenclature but, the IUPAC name is Polypropene) is a stable structure however "poly" irrigations systems tend to be not very reliable because they are to finicky and fall apart easily. I'm sure there is some system out there made from Polypropene that holds together, I sure won't ever use PVC. (Poly Vinyl Chloride)

Vinyl is simply two Carbon atoms bonded togther in a double bond, polyvinyl would be many vinyl molecules bonded together and the structure of PVC can be found here:
https://www.lenntech.com/Polyvinyl-Chloride-PVC.htm

PVC itself is not unstable it is the compounds added to it that are the problem.

doccat5
Green Thumb

I'd go with the row covers and add some radishes around the hills. Any left over beetles will go for the radishes first. You can pull up the damaged or diseased radishes and discard. You could also try milk jugs, if you are wanting to provide some extra warmth. Just make sure you take the lids off in the day time.....

Samuel
Newly Registered

I think I'll go with plastic mulch and row covers. What kind of cloth should I use?
As for pest control, I haven't figured out what to use for cucumber beetles. I might try radishes, but other that that I don't know what keeps them off.
How many melons (on average) did everyone get from each plant? I only got one last year, and I'm sure I could get more than that.
Thanks for the advice,

Sam

JennyC
Green Thumb

I am having great luck with radishes myself. All my assorted squash plants (zucchini, yellow crookneck, pumpkin, cucumber) are happy, with no telltale holes in leaves, except one plant which is right next to where I pulled a badly infested radish and forgot to replant for a while. It has a couple of "swiss chees" leaves. I interplanted the bed with radishes scattered throughout.

wurzelgummidge

ive got three melon plants growing from seed I saved from one bought in a supermarket,no idea what variety they are,the fruit was small and yellow.
they are growing well in the greenhouse but don't know whether they will produce fruit, are they like marrows where you have male and female flowers?

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Melons like the heat. I planted seeds indoors and they stayed with just seed leaves for ever. As soon as they were outside they grew new leaves almost overnight. I also heard that they appreciate when you sprinkle epsom salts around the roots, and instant tea as well. I haven't tried those yet, but am planning on it.

Roger

To wurzelgummidge:
Yes, they have both male/female flowers. Most of the early flowers on the young vine are one or the other. They also have flowers that have both male & female parts, and these are usually on older established plants and are the ones most likely to set fruit.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”