Garden Girl Jo

Zucchini & Squash bugs question

Last year I planted zucchini for the first time and was thrilled with how well the plant grew. However, my excitement ended quickly when squash bugs took over and then moved on from there to my melon!

Is it likely since I had a squash bug problem last year that I will again this year? Any advice on how to keep the evil guys away! :?

THANKS!

Roger

It's likely they will be back. Moving your plants year to year in the garden to a new site will help greatly to keep them under control.

Check the plant when you are picking the squash, and look for their eggs. They look like small, bronze colored seeds, often found on the underside of the leaves, usually near the stem or on the edges. I usually use my fingers and roll/crush the egg clusters, and sometimes just tear the leaf around the eggs and toss them out of the garden. Also, you will likely see young squash bugs on the plants. They look like the large ones, but are pale green and or white. Mash em whenever you see them. These are the ones that will lay eggs, when they mature, that will be next years problem.

Be sure to remove any dying vegetation from the squash as it matures. The young and older egg laying bugs thrive amidst the dying/dead leaves.

Garden Girl Jo

Thanks so much for the tips & info Roger!
I appreciate it.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Also, plant nectar producing plants that will attract beneficial insects that will eat the squash bugs.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=335

doccat5
Green Thumb

And plant radishes as a trap crop, they work wonderfully for both squash and cuke beetles. Just pull up any diseased or damaged radishes and discard and then plant some more to eat. :)

bcomplx

Get some wedding net (tulle) from a fabric store, and make a tent that will serve as a barrier to bugs. You will need to open it when the female flowers start showing, but meanwhile your plants can grow unbothered by squash bugs. Make sure the plants are clean before you cover them, though.

Tulle doesn't heat up the way rowcover does, and it actually looks pretty. You can make support hoops out of inexpensive plastic pipe, sold at hardware and box stores by the foot. If you need to attach two pieces and don't want to use a needle and thread, an ordinary paper stapler will work.

doccat5
Green Thumb

bcomplx thanks for the tip on the tulle. Hadn't thought about using that and that's a great idea! I have the row covers, but tulle could be used in a lot of ways once it starts to warm up.

:)

don_hoe
Newly Registered

I found some organic squash bug killer on Google called mr. malcolm's squash bug eliminator that kills eggs and adults. I've tried everything else in the past but this stuff works. I tried neem oil but it left a taste after using it for a while. Little devils are persistent. There are probably pesticides out there but I'm afraid to eat the veggies.

Rosie51

I'm so glad to find out about the squash bug stuff to buy. I've tried everything but nothing kills them. So I'd get on my gloves and pick them up and put them in soapy water to kill them. Hated doing it as I don't like to touch bugs.

The Malcolms eliminator should hopefully help me! Thanks

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”