rebaths

What can I plant this late in season?

Hi everyone!

I live in SC and would like to have some sort of vegetable garden going this year. Just moved a month ago and haven't had time to get anything... Are there any plants/seeds that would be OK to plant this late in May?

Thanks!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You can plant anything in May ;-) You do have a much warmer climate than I do so corn would be good because it likes heat. Lettuces will be okay but, in the heat they may bolt on you. Carrots are good, tomatoes, squash, potatoes, beets, kohlrabi, and the list goes on...

Have fun!

JennyC
Green Thumb

Rebaths, I'm in North Georgia, right on the line between 7a and 7b. I don't know where you are in SC, you should be either similar to here, or a zone warmer. I'm new to gardening myself, but I'm planning a fall crop on the advice of my county agricultural extension agent (a great resource for local advice; yours should be in the phone book).

If my agent is to be trusted, Ophabinia's more right than he knows; it's not too late for much of anything down here, but it's now too early in the summer for some! Technically, we should be able to get two crops of cool-weather plants; I was late myself this spring, so I'm waiting on the fall crops for:

turnips
collards
broccoli
kohlrabi
cabbage
and carrots

My county agent recommended planting the fall crop in late July to be harvested before the first freeze. She said I might get a fall crop of potatoes, too, but mine were already in the ground when I talked to her and may well burn up (plant in early March for spring, she said, or plant in the very late fall, after you harvest the fall crops, and they'll probably come up in spring).

Now's good for planting tomatoes, peppers (start them inside and transplant the seedlings, or buy seedlings -- I did both, and both are working fine, but the seeds I planted directly in the garden mostly didn't come up), summer squash, pumpkins (hurry so they have time to get big -- May 15 is ideal), beans and field peas, and cucumbers. Plant sweet potatoes around the first of June (I rushed mine last weekend and we have freak cool weather this morning, sigh). If you like radishes, plant some every two weeks; they'll be ready in a month, and you can plant more for a constant supply! Oh, and if you like okra, it'll do fine planted now -- I'm not planting any because my husband won't eat it.

Good luck with it! Have fun!
Last edited by JennyC on Thu May 22, 2008 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rebaths

Thanks both for your help.

I will probably be planting some carrots, tomatoes and some sweet 'taters really soon.

:)

rebaths

Well I went ahead and bought some plants from the nursery. Got some tomatoes, peppers, an cantaloupe.

They are all about 8 inches tall. Planted them in tilled soil, with some compost and watered well. First couple days are fine, but today it got to 95F and they are wilting pretty badly. I have been watering twice a day. I watered and misted this morning before work, and just now when I got home.

Tomorrow it's supposed to be 97F!!!

How can I stop them from wilting and dying? Right now my thought is to take some extra weed block fabric I have, and drape it over some stakes I can put around and in the garden to block the sun tomorrow. Will this work, or trap too much heat?

Thanks!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”