skadera
Newly Registered

something is eating my wall-o-water

Hi All,

I have a bunch of wall-o-waters set up and something keeps chewing through them. I assume it is raccoons that are trying to get a bath or drink of water. I have placed a bucket of water near the garden but they prefer the wall-o-water instead.

Last year I lost about 6 and this year I have lost 2 so far. At $3.50 - $4.00 each it is starting to add up. What can I do to keep them away?

(Please note that I live in town so lights and loud noises are not effective and/or are not a good option.)

Thanks,

sk

LuzRD
Newly Registered

I just googled to see what a wall-o-water is. I found some sites with people discussing making their own home made versions with soda bottles and such. that could be a way to at least eliminate the cost factor.

I then thought that you could put somthing other than water in them to deter the critters from detroying them. vinegar comes to mind (I'm assuming that it would be a deterant. if not you get the idea) in a solution with water to keep the costs down. could use bleach (again diluted to be safe and inexpensive), soap or likely any number of other things.

just thinking out loud though

skadera
Newly Registered

hi, thanks for the suggestions. I didn't think about vinegar. I was considering pepper but there was some talk about pepper harming the animals so I didn't want to do that.

Would the vinegar make the soil more acidic? Would that be good or bad?

I wonder if a 50/50 solution would work? Or could I get by with less?

I did see some articles on making your own wall-o-water. The only issue I have is storage of the bottles in the off season. They don't fold flat like the store bought kind.

For those who don't know, a wall-o-water is a little plastic teepee that you fill with water from the top. It is meant as a season extender that allows you to start tomatoes and other warm weather plants a month early.

sk

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”